Re: Lord North(s) question

The example below is not the samething, as there are many peers that
have the same titles as subsiduries. The Marquis of Bute, earl of
windsor, the earl of plymouth, viscount windsor. It might be possible
for the heir of the Earl of Guildford, to perhaps style himself Lord
North of Waldersee (the family stately home, though I am sure that I am
spelling it incorrectly).
rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The Earl of Radnor holds the Barony of Longford (although his eldest
son and heir is styled Viscount Folkstone) yet there is also an Earl of
Longford. I suppose that Viscount Folkstone's eldest son might be
called Lord Longford which could be confusing if he were in the
vicinity of the Earl of Longford.

Stan Brown wrote:
Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:56:37 GMT from sionevar <sionevar@xxxxxxxxx>:
"Julius" <crosstherubicon@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

One would have a courtesy title [the heir to Earl Guilford] and would
be a commoner. The other would have a substantive peerage title: Baron
North (of Kirtling Tower).

But in day to day speech when referring to either person, how would you
distinguish between them? Would you call Baron North just that instead of
Lord North?

Nope -- in day to day speech there's nothing to distinguish a
substantive peer from a courtesy peer of the same grade.

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
Royalty FAQs:
Yvonne's HRH page:
more FAQs: