Re: Heir of Elizabeth I

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:35:46 -0000, "Mike Stone" <Mwstone@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>"jrmaanda" <jrmaanda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> When she was ill, Lady Catherine Grey (sister of Queen Jane).
>
>Is that certain?
>
>I thought there was a provision that marrying without the sovereign's (or
>Council's) permission had the effect of disqualifying you from the
>succession. That would knock out Catherine and maybe her sister Mary as
>well, as I know she did the same but I'm not sure when.

There was never any such rule. Nor was there any doubt that
Catherine's son, Lord Beauchamp, was the legitimate heir under Henry
VIII's will - provided she had been validly married. However, since
the only witness to the marriage was conveniently dead, it was
possible to get an ecclesiastical tribunal to rule that it had never
happened. The reversal of this ruling was always possible, and
Burghley was a supporter of Beauchamp's claim until his death. The
fact that the marriage has taken place in secret and without the
Queen's permission was irrelevant.

--
Don Aitken
Mail to the From: address is not read.

  • Re: Sids NZ Memorial (AE spoilerish)
    ... My dad is the eldest of the five siblings (one sister died in the war and had she actually married her fiance that would have been even more embarrassing since I discovered after dad's death, she'd been engaged to my mum's brother at the time of her death)! ... Son of aunt's second marriage was there, the two babies by her first marriage had both died at birth - but he was the sort of chap who would be easy whatever happened. ... I wouldn't have noticed but someone thought they'd better tell me so I went and tried to look at the photos thinking I might see a photo of my parents I'd never seen before. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Related question
    ... Persons Eligible to Marry ... mother, grandmother, daughter, son's daughter, daughter's daughter, ... wife's daughter's daughter, sister, brother's daughter, sister's daughter, ... Wife's Sister's marriage act was passed ...
    (soc.genealogy.methods)
  • Re: Related question
    ... Persons Eligible to Marry ... mother, grandmother, daughter, son's daughter, daughter's daughter, ... wife's daughter's daughter, sister, brother's daughter, sister's ... Wife's Sister's marriage act was passed ...
    (soc.genealogy.methods)
  • Re: Marriage to deceased wifes sister
    ... Anybody else on the list got a marriage of a widower to his late wife's ... sister during the 1800s? ... too big and anonymous to care (most London parishes, Manchester, ... Yes, my gg grandfather, Samuel Dawkins, married successively two sisters ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Re: Thoughts on 9 CHICKWEED and PIBGORN
    ... He has some responsibility for the effects of his actions. ... actions have somehow led to Sister Aramus/Diane's resignation. ... though the fact that a marriage is teetering on the rocks ... for people on the verge of breakup to have an affair, ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)