Re: Camilla Survives Surgery

rc wrote:
> pk4real@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Americans appreciated Diana for her compassion and work, not her
> > looks. Ephraim and Camilla both should know better.
>

> PK, What planet are you liviing on? Americans were more interested in
> what Diana wore, how her hair looked, and how much she weighed than her
> charity work.

Not in the Real World, RC, how sad for you to not even know why she was
called the "Queen of Hearts" and "People's Princess" :

REMEMBERING PRINCESS DIANA'S
VISIT TO THE HEARTLAND

By LARRY JORDAN & LISA CAMPBELL

She was a luminous presence on the world scene, a woman who combined
glamor with compassion, and whose unprecedented popularity transcended
national boundaries. Fairy-tale princess and vengeful divorcée,
fashion-plate beauty and social do-gooder, media victim and skilled
manipulator, devoted mother and confessed adulteress, goodwill
ambassador and later scourge of the monarchy - this was a woman of vast
contradictions.

Like other pop icons, Britain's Princess Diana died young, in her
prime. The outpouring of worldwide grief in the weeks since her death
in a Paris car crash August 31st, has been unlike anything seen since
the assassination of President John F. Kennedy almost 34 years ago.

An estimated $25 million in floral tributes formed fragrant oceans
about the Palaces in Britain, and a quarter billion dollars in
charitable contributions were received in the first week following her
death.

In the Chicago Loop, thousands of people waited in line for hours to
sign a condolence book in the lobby of the Wrigley Building, which
houses the British Consulate. Many of them brought flowers, candles and
cards.

Taped to a door was a sheet of typing paper on which two Band-Aids were
fastened. The handwritten note on the paper said, "Diana. If only there
were enough bandages in the world."

What was it about this woman that moved so many to such adulation? In
this cynical age, Diana was one of the few global figures who really
cared about people - and showed it. She kissed lepers, shook hands with
aids patients and literally walked through minefields in her doughty
campaign to make the world a better place.

Commanding no armies, relying on no focus groups, casting no votes and
without dispensing any government largesse, Princess Diana changed the
lives of millions, through the sheer force of her character and the
iron strength of her moral purpose.

She lived out in her own short life the battle royal of our times -
between service and self-absorption, between the impulse to give and
the craving for pleasure.

Her ultimate appeal comes from the fact that through all the wrong
turns she took, she kept reaching out beyond herself to those in
greater pain and greater need. And that, in the end, was her life's
most powerful message. Her vulnerability only won her greater
admiration.

"Two things stand like stone," Princess Diana once said prophetically.
"Kind-ness in another's trouble; courage in your own."

For three days in June of last year, Princess Diana visited the
Midwest. She toured a campus in the small Illinois town of Evanston,
visited a big Chicago hospital, attended a charity luncheon to promote
breast cancer awareness, was the guest of honor at a star-studded
evening hosted by a museum, and charmed fellow guests at a Windy City
hotel.

The Princess made Evanston, Ill. her first stop, arriving around 6:30
P.M. on June 4, 1996, (which was 2:30 A.M. British time).

When she stepped out of her black Rolls Royce, accompanied by her Lady
in Waiting, she headed immediately for the students who stood nervously
on the steps of Northwestern University's School of Law.

"She was breathtaking," said Roderick Williams, a 20-year-old
sophomore. "And she was nice. She knew my name and she asked me
jokingly if I wear these clothes to class," referring to his dapper
gray suit and tie. He said she told him, "I have boys of my own and I
can tell, you don't usually wear jackets."

"I was just, like, stunned! It was like something my mom would say. It
showed that maternal instinct she had," Williams opined. "She was one
of the most elegant, poised, down-to-earth ladies," said 21-year-old
Leonline Chaung, another student body representative.

A crowd of 3,000 onlookers armed with cameras and binoculars cheered
and clapped for the Princess, who squished across the soggy lawn in her
bone-and-black slingbacks to gather up the flowers being offered her
and shake hands with well-wishers.

"I came for a hug," declared David Studnitzer, 13. So Diana wrapped him
in her arms.

"Cool," David said.

It was hard to imagine that any other person besides a rock star could
bring a 13-year-old boy outdoors to wait around for a long time, in a
drizzle, with his 15-year-old sister.

Joseph Zaghal, a 36-year-old engineer, was allowed to peck the Royal
cheek ("It was my lucky day," he said later).

In a short, snappy linen suit the color of a scoop of 31 Flavors'
Daiquiri Ice, Diana clutched a modest bunch of lilies-of-the-valley as
she strolled through the sculpture garden at Nu with President Henry
Bienena, before departing for a reception at the home of the university
official and his wife.

With a radiant smile, the Princess at one point grabbed Bienen's arm
when he strayed briefly from her side.

With a gentle yank, she pulled him toward her and said, "You mustn't
leave me. You must stay right here beside me."

Coinciding with her visit, one of the best-selling issues of Majesty, a
monthly magazine devoted to the British royal family, featured a cover
story on the Princess: "Is she mad, bad and dangerous?"

But as the Chicago Tribune reported in its People-speak style,
"Princess Di arrived in Chi and the town went gaga. She worked her
crowd like a pol and a potentate and usually sane, sensible people
seemed to swoon.

"The ones who touched Diana's hand looked like they needed CPR," the
paper said. "For those who got a brief word from the Princess, it was
hot diggity heart attack. Bring on the medics!"

The next day, at a cancer symposium at Northwestern's School of Law in
downtown Chicago, Diana sat on a red leather chair and listened
attentively to seven presentations of ten-minutes each, including a
slide show. She surprised Royal watchers with her serious remarks,
praising researchers for their efforts in battling "the dreaded 'c'
word" but warned "our work is not yet finished...I would suggest that
now might be a good time to consider another 'c' word which may
threaten us. It is the word 'complacency.'" She told the crowd, "Whilst
few of us may be able to pioneer a new form of surgery or test a new
drug, we can support those who do. We can raise money for research and
work in other ways to ensure that the fight against this disease
continues to press ahead."

Later, the Princess arrived at Cook County Hospital, to be greeted by
Board President John Stroger and hospital director Ruth Rothstein. She
toured the hospital's trauma unit, children's emergency room and
pediatric intensive care unit.

Moving from ward to ward, shaking hands, hugging family members and
stroking children's faces, Diana said little - and said it quietly -
but patients immediately warmed to her.

Visiting the emergency room as a doctor was applying a cast to little
five-year-old Aide Alvarado, who had broken her arm in a playground
fall, Diana gave the girl a conspiratorial look - and whispered, "No
more baths."

One touching moment came in the pediatric unit when the Princess was
taken to the bedside of a ten-week-old girl with a severe medical
problem. When the doctor told her the infant probably would not
survive, Diana became upset and walked away, her eyes filled with
tears. But she returned a few moments later to hold the baby's hand for
a little while.

"She gave us some good inspiration to try to live better," said gunshot
victim Lester Barlow, 35, who met Diana at the hospital. "She said,
'Try to keep a low profile and live a good life.'"

http://www.midtod.com/98autumn/diana.phtml

I don't know anyone who can tell me what charities she
> was involved with but know what she wore to the White House.
>
> RC

Shallow people you know. The average American can tell you she was
involved with AIDS charities, Centrepoint, the Red Cross, Landmine
victims and others.

Like Camilla, you haven't a clue. It's about dedication to causes and
private visits to the poor and sick and much much more. Britain voted
her one of their top three most important people because of her
humanitarianism not because of her clothes.

  • Re: Camilla Survives Surgery
    ... Touched By Diana ... In the hearts of people everywhere who feel blessed by her charity, ... Princess Diana, a new hospice called Ty Hafan ... to the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center ...
    (alt.talk.royalty)
  • Re: Diana, Princess Of Wales & Continuing Mindless Celebrity Worship
    ... marriage treaty with Henry VII, King of England to marry his daughter Margaret ... Finally, another very OT royal holds up very well againest Diana Spencer, ... Princess of Wales, Grce Kelley, the American born movie star who married Prince ...
    (soc.genealogy.medieval)
  • Re: Diana POW & Continuing Mindless Criticism
    ... who against all odds made an enormous difference for the good .Her ... Besides the Queen putting into effect the bill Diana sponsored banning ... "The princess was seated between Kerr and a relaxed-looking Bob Dole ... London to meet homeless people camped in cardboard shelters. ...
    (alt.talk.royalty)
  • Re: Diana POW & Continuing Mindless Criticism
    ... who against all odds made an enormous difference for the good .Her ... Besides the Queen putting into effect the bill Diana sponsored banning ... "The princess was seated between Kerr and a relaxed-looking Bob Dole ... London to meet homeless people camped in cardboard shelters. ...
    (alt.talk.royalty)
  • Re: Name formats and styles
    ... Who would have been "Lady Diana, Mrs Windsor" if her husband hadn't been oversupplied with titles much grander than her own earl's daughter one; or possibly plain "Diana, Mrs Windsor" after The Revolution. ... and Singer, Status Quo. ... Richard Parfitt, Co-Founder, Singer and Guitarist, ... For services to Music and to Charity. ...
    (alt.usage.english)