Re: Holstein titles for Russian dynasts

Norway and Denmark were separate bodies.

The Three Nordic Crowns had been united in a Personal Union since 1389
(Union of Calmar), but split on the death of King Christopher in 1448.

Upon which Christian, Count of Oldenburg & Delmenhorst inherited Norway
via his great-grandmother Euphemia of Norway and Sweden and was elected
King of Denmark, marrying Christopher's widow.

The Crown of Norway was heritable, the Crowns of Denmark and of Sweden
weren't.

Christian I was elected King of Sweden in 1457, being deposed in 1464.

He also bought the Duchies of Holstein (Germany) and Sönderburg or
Schleswig (Denmark) from his maternal uncle (=> Princes of
Schaumburg-Lippe), the source of much later trouble.

Adolph *1526 +1586, second son of Frederik I of Denmark and Norway was
made Duke of Holstein (-Gottorp) in a new creation in 1544.

The Dukes of Holstein, who soon became bitter rivals to their Danish
cousins, styled themselves Heirs to Norway, Norway being inheritable.

Denmark only became inheritable from 1660. So no one could be Heir to
Denmark before that date.