Meta UI: Am I out of my mind?

I'm considering volunteering[1] to set up a mail server for a friend.
I'm not concerned about the technical details, and this froup would be
the wrong venue to ask if I were, so please don't tell me that S
sucks, E is egregious or P is putrescent. However, I'm interested in
your thoughts about the non-technical aspects, and any sad sagas from
those who have done something similar[2][3].

The issues that I'm concerned about include making clear what I will
and won't do and sticking to limits once I've imposed them. He's a
programmer, but basically knows nothing about SMTP or TCP/IP. I'm not
sure whether to try training him to maintain things himself, or
whether it would be less work to have him treat it as a black box once
I set it up. And, no, my people skills are not as good as I might
like.

Am I out of my mind for considering it?

[1] The Cadre must think that I'm dense, never having learned that
critical Army mantra, "Never volunteer!"

[2] That is, setting up a server in a context that is not job
related.

[3] I understand that you might have to mention some technical
details as background, but what I'm looking for is people
issues.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <http://patriot.net/~shmuel> ISO position
Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+bspfh to contact me.

  • Re: OT - disappearing responses
    ... Although they deny it. ... The issue is that the mail server (rightly or wrongly ... We don't have to care, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: [9fans] asn.1 alternatives
    ... caught up by the technical details. ... they usually don't really care how you do it, ... But my point in bringing up the managerial team in the ... implementation doesn't *really* have all that much control over the choices ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: sendmail MX complaint
    ... > This suddenly showed up as a result of removing dreamchaser.org and ... for which your mail server should perform local delivery. ... But your mailserver doesn't care what IP the mail was delivered to; ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Run the NUMB3RS
    ... technical details are right, but does care if the pacing of the ... The writers don't know or care, and count on the audience not ... Not that "they care about pacing or visual excitement ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Meta UI: Am I out of my mind?
    ... Get a better mail server :-) ... Or completely fail to care about any user who doesn't back up their own ... goddamn mail. ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)