Re: Meetings are for what?

On 2011-02-16, Brian Kantor <brian@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Cipher <notavalid@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My next employer must meet these requirements:
* Listens to employees on technical matters or just doesn't ask for
opinions
* Understands work-life balance does not mean Work is your Life
* Gives pats on the back when earned, and kicks in the ass when necessary

Do please tell us how the weather on that planet is, as you'll not find
such an employer on this one.

There is! I have found one. I am still a bit mystified by the whole thing.
Makes life rather difficult for recruiters who want to attract my attention,
though, as I have no expectation that there will be other such rifts between
our usual world and others.

$dayjob once allowed me to suggest that we add a couple of weeks of my
already behind-budget schedule to replacing a core functional component of
our system by writing a new one from scratch because "I don't think this one
can be made to do what we need". It happened. It happened in a way that
involved nudging schedules and/or dropping other things, rather than extra
hours, no less.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: BBC News: Barrier call for Scotlands open level crossings
    ... twisted the electrons to say: ... if it saves the life ... These opinions might not even be mine ... ... Let alone connected with my employer ... ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Epiphany re Alan Hope
    ... Try to drag your mind away from my erection for a second. ... obsessions point towards some real life mental disability. ... pestering you for the sake of thr group" type nonsense. ... never forgive him for contacting my employer" style justifications. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Epiphany re Alan Hope
    ... obsessions point towards some real life mental disability. ... stuff off usenet and into real life. ... never forgive him for contacting my employer" style justifications. ... You are going to end up in trouble Barker - very serious trouble. ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)
  • Re: Some scientists should keep quiet
    ... I don't know about a life of ease, ... million fewer workers. ... sense for each employer, but leaves a lot of people out of work. ... liquidate the least productive 10%. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: Sexual Offences Act 2003 (Remedial) Order 2012
    ... I have already had people contact my employer, ... my personal life. ... I have a Facebook account ... which is limited access and mainly used for family communications. ...
    (uk.legal)