Re: Words and their meanings (was Re: Screens)

In article <1SeLm.3478$cW.13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
<abuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-> ValueType Exception: strptime() needs a string

Untyped languages are sooo fun.

Not sure what "untyped language" you're talking about, but Clguba
doesn't fit that description (as witness the exception you received).
Bourne shell is an untyped language. Tcl used to be (I don't know if
it still is). Any language that can give you a type error is a typed
language. (I'd argue, though, that it's a lousy database binding that
returns date columns as a string rather than converting to the
appropriate native type automatically.)

Maybe the phrase you were looking for was "dynamically-typed
languages" (which would put you in some good company -- this year's
Turing Award recipient for one), or perhaps "value-typed languages"
(another way of saying the same thing, I think).

One of our software-design faculty is really geeking out on Ehol this
term, so perhaps we'll actually start to see some decent analysis
tools for dynamic languages soon. (That whole community went down the
Wnin rathole a decade ago and is just now coming back up to the
surface.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | What intellectual phenomenon can be older, or more oft
wollman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx| repeated, than the story of a large research program

  • Re: Unlearning Lisp
    ... Trying to teach people who only use dynamic languages is much harder. ... Even if it is tweaked into valid F# (which supports run-time typing): ... The language group around OCAML, SML, Haskell, Clean, (any ...
    (comp.lang.functional)
  • Re: Statically AND Dynamically Typed Language ??
    ... Ruby seem a lot slower than this. ... improve performance by up to an order of magnitude in static languages. ... The point of dynamic languages is that code is not inlined, ... Lisp users want runtime safety, ...
    (comp.lang.misc)
  • Re: Not a flame war--curious about Python vs. Tcl
    ... lot of languages better for such a use than C++. ... like Java, Python and Tcl don't belong to the same category. ... programming requires dynamic typization, so every dynamically typized ... dynamic languages require more effort on unit tests. ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Sun hires JRuby developers.
    ... JRuby, and dynamic languages in general seems to have the greatest ... respect for the communities and applications that have sprung up ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Dyla 2007: 3rd Workshop on Dynamic Languages and Application
    ... 3rd Workshop on Dynamic Languages and Applications ... We solicit high-quality submissions on research results ... Submitted papers must be unpublished ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)