Re: And occasionally it's brains rushing to the head

Graham Reed <greed@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in <87ws7d8fv7.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

"You're not worried about tomorrow's exam, I guess."

"Not really, no."

Wouldn't matter anyway. If I don't know the material the day before
the exam, it's just not going to happen.

(I tried cramming for statistics. All I wound up with was a headache,
spilled coffee all over the kitchen floor, and a 50% mark on the
course. At least I didn't break the coffee pot.)

I can think of only one course where I went to the final and pulled a
total blank. That was the Compiler Construction course taught by Andy
Oldroyd, who got his PhD and went on to better things and places. I
tried cramming for Math 4173, the proofy statistics course[1], and got a
headache. Then I got an F. The next time I took it, I got a D. I finally
got a C in that course and was content. By comparison, all the other CS
courses were a skate and all the other math courses were a skate on
Teflon.

[1] As in "derive and prove all the properties of the Beta distribution
function", derive a generating function for the Beta distribution
and its moments, and prove that it does generate the function and
its moments. Fascinating course, terribly difficult.

--
If it is stupid, someone will do it.
If it's really stupid, most people will do it.