Re: I have been CHALLENGED. . .

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 21:22:27 +0900, dagbrown@xxxxxxx (Dave Brown)
said in <3mrl2g.k3n.ln@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Those are all specific instances.

Sure. As are all the specific instances where drivers think it's OK
to exceed the speed limit, park illegally or whatever. And all the
specific instances where pedestrians think it's fine to wander
across the road while looking the other way and listening to their
iPod.

Hell, life is one long set of specific instances.

As I think I said earlier, I have not seen anything to persuade me
that any class of road user is particularly disposed to compliance.
Pedestrians are probably the most anarchist road user group, also
the most vulnerable. Yes, drivers *hate* cyclists going through red
lights, but this is mainly, I believe, an expression of frustration
at the traffic which makes lights necessary and envy of a person who
is not being held up by it.

In the end, traffic lights exist mainly to ration the scarce
resource of road space between too many competing motor vehicles.
There are very few places where cycle or pedestrian traffic is
sufficient to require such controls.

Guy
--
But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

  • Re: Road safety
    ... Motorists will face a mandatory speed limit of 20mph in residential ... Make drivers use their headlights in the dark. ... 90% of drivers* that drive with their lights off at ... Bring in a 'jaywalking' charge against pedestrians. ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: Road safety
    ... Motorists will face a mandatory speed limit of 20mph in residential ... Make drivers use their headlights in the dark. ... 90% of drivers* that drive with their lights off at ... Bring in a 'jaywalking' charge against pedestrians. ...
    (uk.politics.misc)
  • Re: Cycle lights no longer needed.
    ... cyclists and pedestrians at a distance of up to 80m. ... What if the system detects another road user that may be ... don't carry lights at night. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: We dont dent, we die.
    ... How does a driver manage to work out at a glance how much tax a non-motorised road user has paid compared to them? ... himself and every other road user. ... In the UK you have to pay Vehicle Excise Duty on most types of motor vehicle manufactured since about 1973, to legally use them, or keep them, on the public road. ... Your confusion, as does that of many drivers, arises from the fact that although those taxes have to be paid to legally use the road, they are _not_ hypothecated. ...
    (uk.rec.cycling)
  • Re: Street riding gripe
    ... All the near-misses have been the daytime and in each case the drivers ... I had to lay on the horn, they didn't see me at all even though I was ... You're invisible to EVERY other road user. ... please park the bike until you get it fixed. ...
    (rec.motorcycles)