Re: Catching a bite

Satya <satyap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 21:55:03 GMT, Peter H. Coffin wrote:
Being able to lock the wheels and not doing so is pretty indicative that
you at least can get maximal stoppage from the wheels. If the wheels

Friction between road and wheel versus friction between brake and
wheel, I suppose. Do you get more deceleration from one or the other.

It is generally the case that there's more friction between the wheel
and the road _if_ the wheel is continuing to roll over the road rather
than sliding over it. If you can lock up the wheels with the brakes,
then the brakes can generate more than enough friction to produce the
maximum possible braking force, which is when the wheels are just short
of breaking loose to slide over the road surface. This is why anti-lock
brakes were invented, so that untrained drivers wouldn't throw their
cars into skids just because they panicked and slammed on the brake
pedal. Anti-lock brakes basically detect when the wheels start to slip
and back off on the braking pressure until the wheels reconnect with the
road again.

--
Steve VanDevender "I ride the big iron" http://hexadecimal.uoregon.edu/
stevev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx PGP keyprint 4AD7AF61F0B9DE87 522902969C0A7EE8