Re: Catching a bite

in Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:59:03 -0600, Satya in hic locum scripsit:

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:29:53 GMT, Joe Zeff wrote:
Oh, yes! When an observant Jew buys a new stove, they have the rabbi
come out to kasher it. This includes going over the inside with a
propane torch to burn off any treif that might be there. Don't know
how they did it before such things were invented.

I would think they bought/built a new one.

My mother-in-law (who is Jewish), has told me that some of the more ...
dedicated Orthodix have two ovens, two fridges, and two sets of
utensils/plates/cutlery, so that the "no milk with meat" may be *strictly*
observed. Moreover, some are apparently in the habit of ensuring that they
are not contaminated by buying a new set of whitegoods every year or every
other year (usually just before Pesach, so that this most important meal
of the year is extra holy.)

My MiL's mothers flat had a split stove, ostensibly for Kosher reasons.

People who live in Jewish areas can get some bargains, buying these almost
new whitegoods around Pesach. Or so I'm told.

--
David Cameron Staples | staples AT csse DOT unimelb DOT edu DOT au
Melbourne University | School of Engineering | IT Support

  • Re: All of this, I can handle
    ... "Well, it {doesn't have a working CD drive,has a failing hard ... because he thought Tech Services would be "too busy". ... David Cameron Staples | staples AT cs DOT mu DOT oz DOT au ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)
  • Re: It can be done, and I have done it
    ... Quote from an ad i experienced in .us for Taco Hell: ... David Cameron Staples | staples AT cs DOT mu DOT oz DOT au ... The problem with America is stupidity. ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)
  • Re: Pros of several industries can unite in cynicsm and derision.
    ... ohg gur fhfcrafvba bs qvforyvrs bayl ubyqf erny ... were, IIRC, actual riders on horseback charging on film in some numbers, ... David Cameron Staples | staples AT cs DOT mu DOT oz DOT au ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)
  • Re: Okay, thats it
    ... I prefer the infinite resolution fractal CCD cameras, ... he wouldn't even need to waste valuable seeing time on resurfacing ... David Cameron Staples | staples AT cs DOT mu DOT oz DOT au ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)
  • Re: Leatherman redux
    ... sysadminning as the World's Oldest Profession? ... You spend an alarming amount of time setting up for, ... David Cameron Staples | staples AT cs DOT mu DOT oz DOT au ...
    (alt.sysadmin.recovery)