Re: To The University Types

Dan Holdsworth wrote:
I heard a tale of a man who mounted an exBritish Rail train horn on a
bike, plus a pair of lead-acid batteries to give the necessary volts to
(briefly) operate it.

Chris Suslowicz wrote:
I thought they used compressed air horns, having a ready supply for the
(emergency) braking system (the working brakes being vacuum operated)?

I can't comment on BR horns -- it's quite plausible that different
classes (of locos / multiple units) have different mechanisms.

Most railway brakes are either vacuum or air operated -- either higher
or lower pressure is created in the brake pipes, which pushes the brakes
away from the wheels. If the pipes are allowed to come to normal
atmospheric pressure, the brakes naturally start braking again. This
means that if the train should divide at speed, both parts of the train
will automatically be brought to a standstill.

These are used for normal braking and for emergency work.

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | Beneath this stone lies Murphy,
aprilcottage.co.uk | They buried him today,
| He lived the life of Riley,
| While Riley was away.

  • Re: What is wrong with this locomotive?
    ... There's not much point to dynamic braking on a diesel, ... But it's pointless in diesel locomotives. ... The diesels I'm familiar with in fact do *not* have regen brakes, ... what diesel locomotives DO have are hyooge air ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: OT - Anyone tried this stuff
    ... It is the brakes that are the ... limiting factor in braking distance, and it isn't possible to have brakes ... even very high performance cars will have ... Consider this - every car has a braking system (brakes and tyres) that is ...
    (rec.autos.sport.f1)
  • Re: MORE problems for Toyota?
    ... NHTSA Tracking Braking Loss on Prius Hybrids ... Toyota owners are unhappy about the performance of the system, ... filled complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ... In the case of the Prius brakes, it appears that the transition from ...
    (alt.autos.toyota)
  • Re: Possible to have brake pads too close to rims?
    ... Flip open the brake caliper quick relese and braking becomes much more effective. ... Is it possible to have brakes so finely adjusted with the pads so close to the rim that braking ability is ... What model of brake lever? ... high mechanical advantage toward the end of lever travel, ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: F-150 brakes
    ... vehicle of this weight and power. ... I'd say that the F150 brakes are inadequate. ... ultimate braking ability that is an issue. ... SuperDuties have dual piston rear calipers, ...
    (rec.autos.tech)