Re: To The University Types

In alt.sysadmin.recovery on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:10:45 GMT
Dan Holdsworth <dan1701usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A cohort of trained Roman soldiers would do the same; katanas are not at
all dissimilar to Iron Age British swords in mode of use, and we all
know how immensely effective those were against Roman thrusting swords
and armour.

The gladius was a formation weapon. In a single combat the answer
might well have been different. I wouldn't put armour into the
equation either because swords aren't for use against armour.

An unarmoured single combat between gladius and katana would be hard
to call. The shortsword bod would have to have very good timing to
come in and deflect the first strike properly plus be fast on his
feet to close the distance in enough time to get a thrust in without a
return strike and without the twohander's footwork ruining the aim.

Mind you, I'd back a quarterstaff against either.

Zebee

  • Re: Question
    ... >> There's little doubt that European swords were usually superior to Japanese ... >> However European armour was much superior to Japanese armour and so the ...
    (soc.history.medieval)
  • Re: checking in
    ... You into swords? ... I'm not much into knives as weapons, ... A handful of Chinese imitation Japanese swords, and a nice Cold Steel ... katanas weren't swords of war. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Further D&D sacred cows being sacrificed in 5E D&D?
    ... Slow troops wore more armour, fast troops less, but their ... speed was dictated by their formation more than their armour. ... any single handed weapon and up to 5 lb maximum for the bigger 2-handed ... cerimonial swords and maces. ...
    (rec.games.frp.dnd)
  • Re: Question
    ... > Maybe Japanese swords weren't practical, ... Japanese swords are pretty. ... > In 15th century Europe, armour penetrating swords must already ... that described the weapon by blade and pommel shape. ...
    (soc.history.medieval)
  • Re: Deboning
    ... horses, armour and the like don't require much explanation. ... Like why a wooden shield was better in ... length of various swords were. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.composition)