Re: That was dumb..

On 2007-11-08, Jasper Janssen (aka Bruce)
One of the problems the aussies will have in grasping this is that *they*
can get cane sugar. The EU sugar market is heavily protected with import
tariffs and subsidies and such, and cane sugar thus carries a gigantic
price premium (like, a factor of 3-5 or so), and it seems like that's gone
beyond the tipping point where people will pay for cane syrup, but not
beyond the tipping point for cane sugar.

Mind you, I swear that both CSR's and Bundaberg's golden syrup aren't
anywhere near as good as they were a decade ago. A lot more
unpleasant burnt flavour to them. Same with both of their brown
sugars, and I have tried *all* over the place for different varieties
of brown sugars (both them and syrup are *very* nice on icecream).

So I found Lyle's (UK?) syrup which tastes just like the syrup I
remember from my childhood. Although, damn hard to find this last
year. I found a lone dented can sitting ontop of a deli counter at a
shop that no longer exists in town. Not in the big chain store that
replaced it, nor in the other supermarket chain store in town.

White dwarf seeks red giant star for binary relationship