Re: Music for Sysadmins...

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:42:19 GMT, mroberds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

One factor may be that they have a maximum of about 1.8 kW (2.5 hp)

Standard US is 16 amp breakers and sockets?

available from the power outlet, and most seem to be designed for about
half of that. In the UK you can get about 3.8 kW (5.1 hp) out of a
standard power outlet,

Doesn't the UK typically use 13 amp sockets? On 32 amp rings/circuits,
admittedly. That's 13*230 (no longer 240) = 2990 Watts.

and in much of continental Europe you can get
about 3.0 kW (4.0 hp). I know that people from the UK often complain

Most of the places I've been, and certainly here in .nl, and I'm fairly
certain also in .be, .fr, and .de, standard is 2.5 mm^2 wires behind a 16
amp breaker at 230 volts (No longer 220, either), and sockets to match.
That's 16*230 = 3680 Watts.

about how "slow" some US appliances (like electric coffee/tea pots) are.

I can imagine. And you can't plug a washer/dryer into a regular socket,
either, like we can.

Jasper
.