Re: Music for Sysadmins...

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:42:19 GMT, mroberds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

One factor may be that they have a maximum of about 1.8 kW (2.5 hp)

Standard US is 16 amp breakers and sockets?

available from the power outlet, and most seem to be designed for about
half of that. In the UK you can get about 3.8 kW (5.1 hp) out of a
standard power outlet,

Doesn't the UK typically use 13 amp sockets? On 32 amp rings/circuits,
admittedly. That's 13*230 (no longer 240) = 2990 Watts.

and in much of continental Europe you can get
about 3.0 kW (4.0 hp). I know that people from the UK often complain

Most of the places I've been, and certainly here in .nl, and I'm fairly
certain also in .be, .fr, and .de, standard is 2.5 mm^2 wires behind a 16
amp breaker at 230 volts (No longer 220, either), and sockets to match.
That's 16*230 = 3680 Watts.

about how "slow" some US appliances (like electric coffee/tea pots) are.

I can imagine. And you can't plug a washer/dryer into a regular socket,
either, like we can.

Jasper

  • Re: Modernizing Common Lisp
    ... picking a library and calling it a standard isn't ... What are core features the rest can be implemented on top of? ... the core features have nothing to do with sockets, ... -- for example both portable and non-portable libraries. ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: Sockets
    ... Search the C standard for the word 'socket'. ... Does that mean it's not possible to implement linked lists in C, ... nothing in the C standard or library to implement sockets. ... If I accidentally wander into a butcher shop and ask for spark plugs, ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: help with client/server socket c code
    ... > to a server and the server prints the string then returns the string ... As already said Standard C does not include sockets and that part ... <snip: socket, bind, listen> ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: What about the Adaptive Communication Environment?
    ... I was actually posting a reply to the thread entitled "using ... In the case of sockets, ... possible to write generically thread-safe code within the standard. ... Which issues seem to be addressed in ACE. ...
    (alt.comp.lang.learn.c-cpp)
  • Re: Sockets
    ... Search the C standard for the word 'socket'. ... If not found, abandon the idea ... Does that mean it's not possible to implement linked lists in C, ... nothing in the C standard or library to implement sockets. ...
    (comp.lang.c)