Re: bowling for cars

Dave Brown <dagbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
I was born in Canada and not only don't live there now, but have spent
nearly half of my life outside the country. I was one of those bloody
horrible foreigners in England for a couple of years though.

Where in England? If London, I'd argue that it's a different country and the
usual rules don't apply.

There's also something about the way Americans carry themselves that annoy
the Brits so you might not get as kind a response as you were expecting.

(For these purposes, you're American like the Scots are English. It's all
the same, right?)

I was welcomed more by the Japanese, who have an astounding reputation for
xenophobia, than I ever was by the English.

The British aren't exactly short on xenophobia. You only need to read the
tabloids to see that.

  • Re: Scottish politics on Radio 4
    ... I hear them call our Monarch, "The Queen of England". ... "The whole country", when they mean all four home countries. ... English history and Scottish history only became common after 1707. ... Scotland has three languages, Gaelic, Lowland Scots and English. ...
    (soc.culture.scottish)
  • Re: England flag ban for taxi drivers in Canterbury
    ... England and the English. ... This country is a damn nice place to live. ... Burnley, but I've no interest in football in general. ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: Labours war on whites
    ... "England is perhaps the only great country ... ruin the country and by splitting the Celts fro the English is an easy ... Try to understand Giles that some people were not born in villages so ...
    (uk.politics.misc)