Re: U-turns into certain death

On Fri, 19 May 2006 09:19:19 +0200, Davide Bianchi
<davideyeahsure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2006-05-18, Brian Kantor <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I read somewhere that there are almost NO train drivers who have been
in that job for more than a couple of years without having someone be
killed by their train.

...came work for us, travel, have fun, squash peoples into gelly...
...not sure if it will work as adv...

I wonder if trains and trams could use luser-catchers on the front. Some
kind of padded netting arrangement, perhaps?

  • Re: 25kV Insulation gaps - between phases
    ... possible prospect of dual voltage trams being needed. ... section between 600v DC overhead and 25kV AC, ... Michael Bell ... train different from a tram. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: HS2 Y route published -- no surprises
    ... "The path into Manchester through Hale and Altrincham is only wide enough for two tracks, and they are used for 1 train per hour to Chester and the south westerly extremity of the Manchester Metrolink. ... If that train can be re-routed via Warrington and the trams run into Altrincham on street track, which might get them more traffic, then only a little demolition for track straightening and bridge-building for separation would be needed to make this route suitable for high-speed operation." ... If the Chester train was re-routed through Warrington it would not serve the small communities currently served, whose passengers have a highly-active user group. ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: Traffic & Development
    ... number of people in Hampton actually hop on the train every day, ... The problem with that is that there are a lot of people who don't live in Hampton who travel to London each day and you won't get GNER to stop at Peterborough AND Hampton. ... When the tram lines were installed in the Croydon area, people moaned like nobodies business about the disruption. ... I believe that Croydon Tramlink are considering lengthening the trams from 2 cars to 3. ...
    (uk.local.peterborough)
  • Re: The rising cost of doughnuts
    ... bob at Birmingham New Street - tie a knot in it instead and go on the train). ... Conversely, we have been quite good at having inflation-proof measures of length (London buses), height and area. ... Didn't Einstein illustrate his early theories in terms of trains travelling through space? ... This isn't really a parallel - he cited the trams in a thought experiment about what would happen to the beam of light from the front of the tram if it were travelling at relativistic speeds. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: I wonder what would happen if the same happened in London for the Olympic site?
    ... We have a bus and train service already. ... > timetables or people will turn to the trams in droves. ... the turn from Victoria St to St John's Lane into a Taxi and Bus lane. ...
    (uk.local.merseyside)