- From: Mark Sprong <msprspm1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 28 Oct 2005 13:07:05 GMT
Dealer garage just called me up to plan some downtime for my car. It needs
a bleeding firmware patch! This summer holiday in .de the engine refused
to boot. Local dealer replaced the board computer unit which fixed the
problem. Two weeks ago a led lit that would not go off.
mechanic: We need to "re-program" your car to fix the problem.
me: Hang on, whaddaya mean "re-program"?
mechanic: You know something about computers sir?
me: sort of.
mechanic: Right, we need to upgrade your firmware to the latest revision
that contains a bugfix for your problem. Would the 14th be ok?
So a car used to be just hardware. Now it's both hardware and software,
meaning it sucks twice. I just realised that, this summer, I had a
mechanically sound car. Nothing stopping it from starting up and moving us
around except for BUGGY CODE spoiling two days of my vacation.
Its everywhere! Aaargh! Get it off me, it hurts!
>From this I logically conclude that car mechanics are (greasy pawed)
- Prev by Date: Re: Now this is interesting...
- Next by Date: Re: Memory foam mattresses - was Re: Business models.
- Previous by thread: My tax dollars at ... well, _something_
- Next by thread: Re: Firmware patch