Re: Ram Update in Dimension E510

On Dec 8, 11:11 pm, "Von Fourche" <khonak...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
"Von Fourche" <khonak...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

news:eoednccLiMOvMUvTnZ2dnUVZ_r6dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   So my ram came from newegg and I installed it in my laptop and desktop.
Installing the ram in the laptop was easy.  Really, all things should be
that easy.  I've not played around with the lap top long enough but to be
sure but so far going from 1GB to 2GB has made things run faster.

  I've really noticed a difference in my desktop.  I went from 512mb to
2.5GB or ram.  The first thing I noticed was that opening My Documents is
much faster now, almost instantly.  iTunes is greatly improved.  It used
to take my desktop about one minute to open up iTunes.  Plus when I
scrolled through all my song I experienced lag.  Now iTunes opens up in
under one second and I can scrolled through my songs with ease.  Also,
Google Earth opens up faster and web pages load faster.

  My new ram came from newegg a few days ago.  I took out the 256 modules
and put in my new 1 GB modules, I ordered
two of them.  So now my E510 has 4 GB of ram although it only shows up as
3.24 GB of ram.  I assume that is nature, right?

  My E510 is running faster now.  I can't believe how fast iTunes loads now,
along with my picture software and Google Earth.
It used to take a few minutes for iTunes to load while I heard the hard
drive grind and grind.  Now it loads in under a second.  It used to take a
half minute to look at the apps too but now they load quickly in iTunes.

 If 4 GB or ram is so fast I'm wondering how fast a new compute would be
with 12 GB or 16 GB is with an i7 processor.

I am assuming you are running some 32-bit flavor of Windows. If so,
the 3.24GB is the maximum memory that can be addressed by an Intel CPU
running in 32-bit mode. To use the full 4GB, you would need to
install a 64-bit operating system, not worth the trouble for the
minimal increase in memory.

I am running a quad core system with 32-bit XP, and I rarely have an
unreasonable slowdown. I have clients running 8GB i7 laptops with Win
7 for software development, and they are awesome.

The added memory helps only if you are in the habit of opening up and
using multiple apps with many windows or tabs, e.g. IE with 10 tabs, 5
spreadsheets, a Word doc or two, Acrobat, and Google Earth. With a
lot of memory, all these apps become memory resident and there is
minimal time spent swapping programs and data back and froth to the
paging file... Ben Myers

  • Re: c# out of memory question
    ... I have 2GB of RAM on my machine and looking at task ... | memory to 3070MB. ... | testclass testclass1 = new testclass; ... however, this memory range is also used to load your code modules, the CLR ...
  • Re: QRe: VMWare (GSX or ESX) VS Win4Lin
    ... > to find out whether it works better is to load more RAM and install multiple ... its memory consumption. ... running Rose and loading a large model - it takes ... a LONG time to load that model. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Will upgrade 2 Gigs of RAM help my Windows XP Pro?
    ... of more memory becomes a burden to the system in that it has to be ... > Manager stats on no load and full load: ... > to 2 Gigs of RAM? ... >> upgrade to 2 Gigs of RAM? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Best Practice questions
    ... Exchange server because memory manager uses two PTEs to map every page of memory when the PAE kernal is enabled. ... So, if you have more than 4GB of RAM, all the tuning you did is for naught; ... If you have more than 4GB RAM installed in an Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 server, the PAE kernal will load unless you jump though a convolted and confusing series of hoops to prevent it. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Persisting a Dataset
    ... thank you Beth for your ... > the RAM resource? ... >>> which would load the table into memory and serve all the exes. ...