Re: Dim 4550 Hard Drive Replacement Advice?

On 6/26/2011 3:47 PM, powrwrap wrote:
My Dim 4550 came with a 40GB drive. In January 2008 I installed a
Western Digital Caviar (IDE) 250 GB hard drive. Yesterday I started
getting "cyclic redundancy errors". I defragged the drive but
continued to get CRE errors so I ran WD's Extended Test diagnostic
tool and my drive failed the test. I attempted to repair bad sectors
and I received "08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors."

It would seem that my 3 1/2 year old hard drive is failing. So what to
do?
Buy another 250GB drive and transfer my files?

Back up the absolutely necessary stuff to another computer and/or
DVD's and reformat the existing disk by writing zeroes to it and try
it again? I've got a lot of videos and music on this drive.

Bite the bullet and stop sinking money into a 9 year old computer? Buy
something new with a huge drive and transfer whatever I want from the
Dim 4550 to the new computer?

If you say to buy another hard drive, what brand should I buy? I'm
kind of put off by Western Digital. The local MicroCenter computer
superstore has lots of refurb WD drives. Newegg has a lot of WD drives
(IDE). In fact, it seems my only choices in IDE PATA drives are WD
Blue Caviar or Seagate Barracuda.

If you say back up and reformat, I've filled up this drive to 230 GB
out of 250 GB. I've got a Dim 4600 on my home network with about 50 GB
free space. After that I'd have to back up stuff to DVD's at 4.3 GB a
disk. That's a lot of work.

I'd like to keep using the Dim 4550, probably give it to one of my
kids.

Any and all ideas welcome.
You'd better get your data off that drive asap. Then throw
it out. Re-formating will do nothing helpful. Either drive
should be fine.
.