Re: Dim 4550 Hard Drive Replacement Advice?

On 6/26/2011 3:47 PM, powrwrap wrote:
My Dim 4550 came with a 40GB drive. In January 2008 I installed a
Western Digital Caviar (IDE) 250 GB hard drive. Yesterday I started
getting "cyclic redundancy errors". I defragged the drive but
continued to get CRE errors so I ran WD's Extended Test diagnostic
tool and my drive failed the test. I attempted to repair bad sectors
and I received "08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors."

It would seem that my 3 1/2 year old hard drive is failing. So what to
do?
Buy another 250GB drive and transfer my files?

Back up the absolutely necessary stuff to another computer and/or
DVD's and reformat the existing disk by writing zeroes to it and try
it again? I've got a lot of videos and music on this drive.

Bite the bullet and stop sinking money into a 9 year old computer? Buy
something new with a huge drive and transfer whatever I want from the
Dim 4550 to the new computer?

If you say to buy another hard drive, what brand should I buy? I'm
kind of put off by Western Digital. The local MicroCenter computer
superstore has lots of refurb WD drives. Newegg has a lot of WD drives
(IDE). In fact, it seems my only choices in IDE PATA drives are WD
Blue Caviar or Seagate Barracuda.

If you say back up and reformat, I've filled up this drive to 230 GB
out of 250 GB. I've got a Dim 4600 on my home network with about 50 GB
free space. After that I'd have to back up stuff to DVD's at 4.3 GB a
disk. That's a lot of work.

I'd like to keep using the Dim 4550, probably give it to one of my
kids.

Any and all ideas welcome.
You'd better get your data off that drive asap. Then throw
it out. Re-formating will do nothing helpful. Either drive
should be fine.

  • Re: Strange PEER error with Danis 506 1.81 generic question
    ... In the case of everything so far up until the Intel 915GAVL/GEVL and still in research 945 series motherboards, there have been two IDE controllers on the boards. ... Thus the primary hard disk controller from which the finished box will normally boot would be the Master on IDE controller #1. ... if there were, for example, two IDE hard drives, one would be the normal boot device as the Master on the primary IDE controller. ... to generate a report of scsi and "fake scsi" devices on a mixed scsi hard drives/ide dvd burner and dvd-rom system but I seem to recall that all scsi devices got listed before any ide devices - including the scsi scanner I had. ...
    (comp.os.os2.bugs)
  • Re: Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array
    ... Booting from Acronis CD after re-attaching IDE drive to system didn't work ... I detached both SATA drives and booted from Acronis Cd again ... ... case to ensure that RAID is not being 'attempted'on my IDE drive. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array
    ... I assume if your IDE drive is NOT ... attached, the SATA array will still boot, correct? ... Option #2 (should be done w/ SATA and IDE drives installed): ... install on the IDE drive. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array
    ... I have reformatted the IDE drive, to remove any issue with the old Windows ... I turned auto-restart off in my SATA-based Windows install; ... Remove any newly installed hard drives ... is the first boot device and the IDE the second. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: XP wont boot if DVDR is connected
    ... You indicate the Lite-On drive is connected to a IDE ... hdds and two optical drives. ... Is there any possibility of installing the Lite-On on another computer to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)