Re: Why no PCs w/SATA-600 yet?

Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Christopher Muto" responded:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
SATA-600 hard drives are now on the market, as are
PCIE adapter cards for them. Even Gigabyte has a
motherboard with onboard SATA-600. I'm itching to
buy a new desktop PC with that feature, but no PCs
have it, yet, including Dell. Does anyone here have any
insight as to why? Or have you heard when it might
become available as an onboard feature?

*TimDaniels*
i think the answer is that sata and certainly sata ii is still faster than what conventional hard disks can deliver. the new sata 600 (or sata 3) appears to be only useful for sold state drives which are still relatively expensive and not available in very large drive sizes.

The July PCWorld (one issue ago) did a review of WD's Velociraptor
(a SATA-600 HD with 10,000 rpm rotational speed), and they compared
it with a WD SATA-300 Caviar Green (rotational speed somewhere
between 5,400 and 7,200 rpm) in file and folder read-write tests, and they
said it had a "dramatic performance edge of 8 to 17 seconds". How that
is limited by "what conventional hard disks can deliver", I don't know, but
Google reveals that several adapter card manufacturers feel that there will
be a market for people upgrading to SATA-600, and GigaByte feels that
there will be a market for a motherboard with SATA-600 onboard. With
increased areal densities and cache sizes, the actual bus speeds may become
significant and total throughput less limited by seek time delays. The bottom
line is that there will be guys like me who want SATA-600, and why aren't
there PCs available with it built-in?

*TimDaniels*

i think you missed my point. considering a 300gb 10k rpm drive that costs about $250 when 500mb drives that cost about $50 are the industry standard in desktop computers today puts you in a very small minority of the market. many people spend that much on the entire computer and are happy surfing the web and doing email. that is not to say that there is no place for new and improved technology, and this one seems to have been done right with full backward compatibility including cables and cable connectors, but there just isn't a motivation for the big box makers to pay an additional penny to include a next generation disk controller when they are going to pair it with conventional (main stream, affordable) hard disks so that they can compete on price in the market. in time that will of course change. and in the mean time you can install a sata 3 controller (when available, i haven't seen any yet other than integrated in the new gigabyte motherboard like you mentioned) in a machine that you want to run sata 3 drives.

  • Re: Is SATA compatible with IDE Hard drives
    ... I've yet to encounter a single motherboard that did ... not permit a boot from a properly-connected PATA hard drive. ... I don't own any SATA capable PCs, ... > complaints about simultaneous IDE and SATA hard drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: problem with my new sata hard disk
    ... yesterday i brougt new sata hard disk along with all ide to sata ... My guess would be the converter is not the right type. ... The motherboard has an ICH4 Southbridge and two ribbon cable IDE ... hard drives larger than 137GB. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: motherboard decision help
    ... I'm not using any of the Nvidia drivers. ... > driver for the onboard video, and that works much better than the Nvidia ... > using the RAID, but SATA works, and dual ... attach additional drives to the RAID cable sockets and use them as ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: !!!!!Computer wont boot up with SATA dvd burner connected
    ... misidentified the motherboard, it is a MS-7248 not 49. ... BIOS, then Windows versus Linux disc, won't make a difference. ... Your SATA problem shouldn't be ... When SATA optical drives first came out ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: Seek Advice on Motherboard
    ... I understand that under the SATA fromat ... Any advice on a branded motherboard ... or six of those SATA connectors are common. ... If you're reusing IDE drives, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)