Re: Which recordable DVD to buy for Inspiron 1545 laptop

RnR wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:50:28 -0400, Daddy <daddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

starved@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello all.

For a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop I want to create the System Recovery
Discs. The CD drive on this laptop is:
Dvd+/-Rw,8X,Serial Ata,Small Form Factor,Toshiba Samsung Storage
Technology

My question is *exactly* what kind of media do I buy? I've never
purchased recordable DVDs before. There are a multitude of different
formats; which one do I get?

DVD-R?
DVD-RW?
DVD+R?
DVD+RW?
DVD-RAM?
8x?
16x?
WTF?

It's enough to make your head spin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Dave
What format is WTF? I've never heard of WTF format before...oh wait, I get it now.

Seriously:

Dell recommends that you do /not/ use re-writable media. That takes out DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

I wasn't aware of this. I've used some for years tho not recently and
never had a problem. I wonder how long dell said this or why? That
said tho, there was a time where the re-writeable was worthy but I
doubt today with the pricing of the +R / -R discs. I don't burn
much now but when I do, I try to use virtual drives instead.

Incidentally to the OP, sometimes better to burn at the slower speeds
rather than the faster speed to avoid coasters. No way to say when
so try the faster speed if you want but if you get a coaster, then
step down in speed.

RnR makes a good point about burning at slower speeds. For this job especially, accuracy is more important than speed.

Daddy

  • Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets nest)
    ... has many missing formats. ... I don't even remember what the max read speeds are. ... However, in the case of all discs, all ... drives states the minimum spin speed for stable reading and that roughly ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Looking for Mac Plus System 6.0.8 diskettes
    ... there are also black and silver discs too. ... The early drives can't read the AZO dye. ... these days is rated for ~50x burn speeds, ... The faster the burn, the smaller the pits. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Old media to burn...
    ... your PC, your Discs, your DVD ... Wel the latest Pioneer or NEC drives they do should see you alright. ... rated at the speed you want to burn, ... do not care about getting firmware speeds to upgrade to a _faster_ ...
    (uk.media.dvd)
  • Re: Which recordable DVD to buy for Inspiron 1545 laptop
    ... For a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop I want to create the System Recovery ... doubt today with the pricing of the +R / -R discs. ... much now but when I do, I try to use virtual drives instead. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: CDR quality / reliability problems
    ... doesn't seem to be more common with discs that have lot's of errors. ... errors in the lead-in to cause drives to drop down to lower speeds. ... C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis." ...
    (rec.audio.pro)