Re: 'True' vs. 'Pseudo' Quad Core

Daddy wrote:
Trying to decide between dual core and quad core for my next Dell desktop.

From what I understand, Intel's current quad-core processors (at least, the ones offered by Dell) are not truly quad core, but more like two dual-core processors glued together. There are four cores there, no doubt, but certain components are shared between the two halves. Obviously, I'm missing a lot of information.

What really is the difference, if anything, between the current generation of Intel quad core processors and a 'true' quad core? This may be a huge question, so I'd be fine with links to more detailed explanations.

Are today's Intel quad-cores a legitimate choice, or are they a 'gimmick', like hyperthreading, something to satisfy the market's demand while they work on the 'real deal'?

I upgraded my XPS720 from a Core2 processor, E6600, to a quad, Q6600, and saw an enormous real world increase in performance when editing & rendering video. Other stuff is instantaneous no matter which CPU.

FWIW, I don't consider hyperthreading a gimmick - it's a way of wringing some extra performance from a single core processor and works the way Intel describes (had one on my Dim8400).

  • Re: True vs. Pseudo Quad Core
    ... From what I understand, Intel's current quad-core processors are not truly quad core, but more like two dual-core processors glued together. ... What really is the difference, if anything, between the current generation of Intel quad core processors and a 'true' quad core? ... Whether software was developed for it is another matter entirely, e.g., budget vs actual. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: True vs. Pseudo Quad Core
    ... From what I understand, Intel's current quad-core processors (at least, ... the ones offered by Dell) are not truly quad core, ... generation of Intel quad core processors and a 'true' quad core? ... I don't consider hyperthreading a gimmick - it's a way of wringing ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: True vs. Pseudo Quad Core
    ... From what I understand, Intel's current quad-core processors (at least, ... the ones offered by Dell) are not truly quad core, ... of Intel quad core processors and a 'true' quad core? ... You'll likely never see any performance difference one way or another ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: True vs. Pseudo Quad Core
    ... From what I understand, Intel's current quad-core processors (at least, ... the ones offered by Dell) are not truly quad core, ... generation of Intel quad core processors and a 'true' quad core? ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: E6600 now, or Q6600 in July?
    ... there is a new round of price cuts coming from Intel ... The chart shows the quad core Q6600 processors dropping to ... Maybe by then nVidia will have a revised 8800 GTS setup for cheaper ... FSB mobo as well, so you have future upgradeability as well. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)