Re: USB so slow + DVD backup

"RnR" <rnrtexas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:59h8a4pjv5m7tqvb2rf3qk4g7dsn504fgs@xxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:28:16 -0400, "olfart" <olfart65@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

"Albédo" <ac.albedo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:48a3e344$0$899$ba4acef3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[Also posted to two Microsoft forums]

Hello.
I am writing from France (though in English, hopefully).
I recently had to reinstall my laptop (Dell Inspiron). Before that, I
had
lots
of problems with saving data onto USB keys, as the system required up to
thirty
minutes to copy some 600 favorites. It was just as slow when it came to
erasing
files from the same.
After my hard disk failed I reinstalled the whole thing--accessing
Vista's
SP1
at last. Unfortunately, with the machine being updated and all, I am
still
experiencing just the same problems with USB ports.
I asked on French forums, but no-one seems to encounter the same issue.
Therefore, I have two sets of questions:
-> 1. are there really very few people who are faced with hyper-slow
USB?
-> 2. would anybody know why some of us have to face this?
-> 3. when Vista first came out, my Windows Mails was desperately slow,
until
someone sent me a reg file (found on some American forum) which, though
nobody
seemed to quite know why and how, made Windows Mail a usable program at
last;
would there be such a "patch" to speed up the USB?

If I can't use USB ports, then I'd like to use DVDs, but I am still
looking for
a good program, one that can erase a file from the DVD after noticing it
was
from the hard disk.
-> 4. would anynone know of such a program?
I am using Nero (on another machine with XP SP3), but it seems to
malfunction:
each time I save a directory onto a dedicated DVD, I find that the
program
seems
to use up more and more space, though the saved file(s) is listed only
once, so
that after a few times the DVD is full with just the same saved file,
although
said file is of course not 4,7Gb; then I have to erase the DVD and do it
all
over again.
-> 5. would anyone know why Nero does that, and how I could change it? I
can't
seem to find any parameters that I could alter.

...Well, thanks for reading, thanks in advance for helping if you can.
--
a.

Can't be much help with the USB problem...however...a big note of caution
concerning CD and DVD RW. Eraseable/Rewriteable CD's and DVD's are very
unreliable. After being used a number of times they can and WILL fail and
your data will be lost. REgular CD and DVD's now cost only pennies a piece
and data can be added to them until they are full. If you value your data
then open session DVD's are the way to go.
As far as your USB problem...have you tried contacting Dell Support?

Good suggestion if used with caution. Multi-sessions are problematic
for some so the OP should test it first on some NON-important files.
As I recall some negatives were that it slowed the pc down and
couldn't always be read elsewhere. I'm not sure the latter has to do
with hardware or different burn software. Some problems are fixed by
remembering to close the session first before removing the dvd.

Closing the session means that no more data can be written to the CD/DVD,
however your data will be much safer than using RW discs. I have 3 desktops
and 2 laptops and so far...knock on wood...an open session disc can be read
or written to by all the machines. I am using the same burning software on
all of them though. My main method of backup is to ext hard drives, but I
use DVD's as a backup to the backup. It may seem like overkill, but I lost a
bunch of data a few years ago using just CD/DVD-RW's

  • USB so slow + DVD backup
    ... I recently had to reinstall my laptop. ... experiencing just the same problems with USB ports. ... I asked on French forums, but no-one seems to encounter the same issue. ... each time I save a directory onto a dedicated DVD, I find that the program seems ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: A bright idea...
    ... on that and then plug it into the USB port of the computer to upgrade and away you go. ... DVD image on it. ... My original requirements were to allow a level one tech to install our custom distro on a truck in the field. ... The USB driver NEVER loads in time to utilize a kickstart file on the second partiton, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: USB so slow + DVD backup
    ... I recently had to reinstall my laptop (Dell Inspiron). ... experiencing just the same problems with USB ports. ... one that can erase a file from the DVD after noticing it ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: USB so slow + DVD backup
    ... I recently had to reinstall my laptop (Dell Inspiron). ... experiencing just the same problems with USB ports. ... each time I save a directory onto a dedicated DVD, ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Installing OpenVMS from USB
    ... I am trying to copy the OpenVMS DVD media to the USB ... Standard non-optical disk bootstrap on OpenVMS I64 uses a hybrid of a three, four or five partition GPT disk, and one or two FAT partitions, and the GPT, with an ODS-2 or ODS-5 overlayment. ... The native DVD sector size is different than the native sector size on USB disk drives and USB flash drives, and the EFI boot structures are necessarily tailored for 2048-byte sector sizes and not the 512-byte sector sizes. ...
    (comp.os.vms)