Re: OT:[ Perhaps?]McAfee Scam
- From: "Christopher Muto" <muto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:44:36 -0400
"Journey" <journey@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 15:46:37 -0400, "Christopher Muto"
mcafee's automatic renewal policy alone makes me never use or purchase
if you purchase a retail copy of mcafee you do not have this issue, but if
you purchase a preinstalled version, or download and install from mcafee
are required to enter your credit card information and are automatically
signed up for auto-renewal.
and that might not sound so awful, and arguably reasonable, however you
not permitted to opt out of autorenwal without wasted at least 15 minutes
with their on line chat people to get it turned off.
I don't like auto renewal either unless it can be opted out of when
signing up for something without talking to customer service.
1) you can not opt out of automatic renewal when purchasing a subscription.
2) you can not opt out manually via their control panel.
3) though you can view you autorenewal settings, you are prevented from
unchecking the box next to autorenew (this was not always the case, but has
been for at least a year and a half).
4) there is a link on their autorenewal status page that tells you to
contact customer service, and instead of that link opening a on line chat
session, it opens their help file where you have to search for how to
contact customer service.
so, the op calling it a scam probably accurately describes what it is. when
faced with wasting 15-30 minutes of your time to recover $39.95 you can rest
assured that they collect many fees that are not disputed. this has got to
be by design. there are too many places where they have chosen to eliminate
reasonable user control. the lesson of which is to never by mcafee products
on line. if you must have them then by it retail. retail copies can be
activated without telling mcafee your credit card information and so avoids
autorenewal. and ironically retail copies are less expensive than online
downloaded versions of the same products.
- Prev by Date: RE: 1907FP(Digital) 19" Resolution
- Next by Date: Re: Thinking of putting a system together
- Previous by thread: Re: OT:[ Perhaps?]McAfee Scam
- Next by thread: Re: OT:[ Perhaps?]McAfee Scam