Re: SATA II Hard Drive Preference?

"Boris" <boris-badenough@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1177427727.101141.161060@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This is for an E510. I used to prefer Seagate, but my latest
purchases have been Westerns, and they have been very dependable and
quiet.

Is there a strong preference between these? Both are 250GB, 16MB
cache, factory sealed OEM. I realize I'll have to get a right angled
SATA cable. Proper power connector is provided by the E510.

Western - 3 year warranty - $75
http://www.xpcgear.com/wd2500ks.html

Seagate - 5 year warranty - $82
http://www.xpcgear.com/st3250624as.html

Many thanks.

I've had good luck with the WD's, but have been buying Seagates lately.
No empirical data to support that conclusion, just a gut feel.
With hard drives it is not a matter of "IF" they fail, its "WHEN".
Failure is not as predictable as batteries in a flashlight though.

bac

  • Re: SATA II Hard Drive Preference?
    ... purchases have been Westerns, and they have been very dependable and ... quiet. ... cache, factory sealed OEM. ... No "strong" preference but I'd go for the Seagate if available. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Caching (possibly IIS related?)
    ... I have a web application which gets *very* few hits, ... but even after that it'll be a "quiet" site. ... to extend its cache so that it didn't do it every day - perhaps once a week ... problem goes away and thus the site loads faster for the occasional user ...
  • Finder and iTunes coverflow corruption
    ... get a few seconds of visual noise in the window. ... Is there a cache, ... preference or plist file that can be cleared to fix this condition? ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Automator actions present in menu/folder, but not working when selected
    ... However, as stated previously, it is Mac OS user specific. ... I can't seem to find what preference or cache? ... My problem is with .workflow files not .actions and it's any office application. ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage)
  • Re: vfs: Add MS_FLUSHONFSYNC mount flag
    ... it's built with a nonvolatile write cache or if it has no write cache. ... That would certainly be my preference -- turn this ON by default, ... and we should integrate this with the barriers settings. ... if they see the underlying device needs it. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)