Re: Dimension 8300 Very Slow Cold Boot

Marjorie,

Don't believe Dell. The hard drive likely is dying. It happens. If
nothing else, backup everything!

Personally, I'd spend $40 on a new hard drive and reinstall everything and
throw away the current hard drive.

Tom
"Marjorie Cunningham" <Marjorie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> [...]
>appears to have been solved. I finally talked to Dell Chat and after
>explaining all of the steps I'd taken, the tech suggested I reinstall
>Windows XP, plus run a Diagnostic Test on the hard drive (F12 key on Dell
>screen at bootup). I decided to do the diagnostic test first. (BTW, it
>took over five hours, just a warning!) It came up with FAIL on the Read
>Test (all other tests passed) because of two errors: Error Code 0F00:0244
>Msg. Blocks 5843157-8 Unconnectable data error or media is write
>protected. I immediately Googled this error and found every comment
>indicated that the hard disk was dying when you received this message.
>Whoa! This computer is only two years old and I would be devastated!
>
> I went back to Dell Chat, described the error, and the tech assured me
> that this message does NOT mean the hard disk is dying. To resolve my
> slow startup, he said I would have to reinstall Windows XP and gave
> directions. I decided to check the Microsoft database and it said that
> before reinstalling to repair XP, you should go Start, Run and type sfc
> /scannow (space between "c" and "/") and click OK. When I did this, it
> asked for the XP disk and apparently repaired some .DLLs.
>
> This seems to have worked because I am now booting up within one minute!
> If this solution doesn't prove to be permanent, I will reinstall Windows
> XP, but I thought y'all would like to know that so far it seems to have
> solved the slow boot.
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions, believe me, I used them all!
>
> Marjie
>
> "Marjorie Cunningham" <Marjorie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>I have a two-year old Dimension 8300, P2.8, 1 GB RAM, 120G hard drive with
>>91 GB free space. I turn off my computer each night and turn it on in the
>>morning. For the last month or so, the computer has a very slow cold boot
>>time in the morning, from 10 to 20 minutes from the time I turn on the
>>power button to get to my Desktop, but it seems to boot properly during
>>the day if I turn it off and on again. Once it starts, the computer works
>>normally, seems just as speedy as always, no grinding noises or evidence
>>that the hard disk is failing.
>>
>> I have done a Disk Cleanup and Defrag, used Ad-Aware and SpyBot, emptied
>> all the temp files, checked the Startup files for any anomalies (none
>> that I can see), downloaded new drivers for my sound and video cards, and
>> have checked the Event Viewer for errors (always one saying "hpdj service
>> could not be started," a reference, I assume, to my HP printers). I use
>> a cable modem with anti-virus and a firewall that are automatically
>> updated, no viruses. I have downloaded and installed all of Microsoft's
>> updates. Yesterday I installed Dell's Dell Support program and it finds
>> no errors. I have searched the Internet until I am blue in the face and
>> am not finding a solution.
>>
>> Does anyone have a suggestion as to what can be causing this? Can anyone

  • Re: External HDD vs Reinstall XP
    ... "If I shut down without using the icon to close down the external drive, ... mechanics of the hard disk. ... First reinstall Windows. ... "Backup is a computer user's best friend." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: External HDD vs Reinstall XP
    ... "If I shut down without using the icon to close down the external drive, will I lose the data on that drive?" ... The objective of write caching is to free the fast PC from the slow mechanics of the hard disk. ... First reinstall Windows. ... I'm simply copying and pasting these various data onto this drive as backup in case the system goes down and I have to reinstall XP for some reason. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Dimension 8300 Very Slow Cold Boot
    ... I finally talked to Dell Chat and after explaining all of the steps I'd taken, the tech suggested I reinstall Windows XP, plus run a Diagnostic Test on the hard drive. ... I immediately Googled this error and found every comment indicated that the hard disk was dying when you received this message. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • RE: Access Denied - Msconfig Startup Changes
    ... How to completely remove Small Business Accounting and Microsoft SQL Server ... Please click on the two links provided in the Answer for DELL ... tech decided I needed to reinstall Windows XP. ... Oh you mentioned if under warranty, Dell would FIX IT FOR ME....he told me ...
  • Re: Dimension 8300 Very Slow Cold Boot
    ... > dell will only send you a refurb maxtor. ... plus run a Diagnostic Test on the hard drive (F12 key on Dell ... >> indicated that the hard disk was dying when you received this message. ... >> If this solution doesn't prove to be permanent, I will reinstall Windows ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)