Re: Data points from Bill S.

Cool post, Bill. Watch that junkie thinking so it can't creep up on you.
Stay thoughtful. It's one of the best things I've seen in a good quit.

Kimberly

"Wrong Attitude" <mr.correct@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| Do I feel or act crazy now that I don't smoke?
| Well I have had some real strange states of mind in the past 17 days, but
| tell the truth, in the couple of months before I quit the nicotine I was
| really worried about having an irretrievable or possibly permanent break
| with everyday sanity. Yes, not smoking is letting some things come to the
| surface that are frightening, and cause some rather intense emotions, but
| it's definitely different than it was before. Before I stopped doing the
| nicotine I was feeling really bad - the worst I've ever felt.
|
| .How bad is my craving ? what is it like ?
| About 90% of the time I have no craving. About 9.5% of the time I have
| fleeting ideas about doing something like going down to the convenience
| store and buying a single cigarette for 75 cents. About 0.5% of the time
| have combined physical and psychological states that make me feel very
| uncomfortable and intensely wanting to smoke. These are a distinctly
| altered state of mind consisting of a kind of clarity and a kind of
dullness
| both at the same time. When I get into this state and ride it for a while
| becone aware that I have a self image problem - specifically, that I feel
| that I'm not good enough for just about anything. I want that old
familiar
| nicotine high I been using to escape that feeling all these years. At the
| same time I get a slightly heightened awareness of things in the room
around
| me and feel like I haven't, for years, appreciated anything for what it
was.
| Like everything really is a whole lot more interesting than I normally
| bother to notice.
|
| Have I had a problem with coughing since I quit?
| No, not so far. But I wasn't coughing before I quit either. However, in
| the month or two before I quit I was having sensations that felt like I
was
| having a heart attack. Also spells of nausea. I would continue smoking
in
| spite of those sensations, partly to see what would happen because I
didn't
| believe I was actually having a heart attack, and partly because I just
| wanted that nicotine high so much - more than I ever wanted it before.
The
| more I felt like I might be on the verge of dying the more I wanted to get
| high on nicotine, really indulge in it, kind of like a way of celebrating
| the stupidity of smoking and stressing out all these years and thus giving
| myself a heart condition as a result.
|
| Because here's something I became aware of in recent months and is needing
| to be dealt with in some new way. It is that I regret having wasted my
life
| chasing after the things I chased after, and allowing myself to be
motivated
| the way I was motivated, and unapreciative, and too insecure to go the
| direction(s) I should have gone. Because life really is a precious thing
| and a fabulous adventure and I will dearly miss being here, but I had to
| waste the first 50 years figuring out what was going on. And I'm never
| going to stop regretting all that. It is indeed something to be seriously
| regretted. I can think of no bigger thing to be regretted than that. So,
| my strategy for coping with that is to just give myself a break - give
| yourself a break, Bill. OK. I do give myself a break.
|
| There's more to say but I'm getting kind of nuts here. Whenever I stop
| smoking for a week or two I get this way. Then after a while it goes away
| and after it's gone for a while I get really bored. Eventually I start
| smoking again. I keep smoking for another 6 months or a year and then
stop
| again for 6, 8 maybe 10 weeks and get off on this crazy ride again like I
am
| now.
|
| It is a little different this time. I have a plan. I have things I must
do
| to change my lifestyle. Sell my house. Quit my job. Do something
| different before the time is up. Find a room in an old hotel with a
| community toilet and shower down the hall. Hang out on the sidewalk and
| blend in with the other deranged old men. I'll see you walking by and
I'll
| ask you a question that pisses you off. You'll be happy to get back to
your
| cozy condominium in the nicer neighborhood down the street.
|
| Bill S.
|

| very
|
| this time. It was more than I could handle and I knew the nicotine was a
| serious factor to it - so I decided to get serious about quitting.
|
| Also concerning crazyness. The older I get the less inhibited I've gotten
| about some things that most people are squeamish about.

  • Re: Data points from Bill S.
    ... not smoking is letting some things come to the ... nicotine I was feeling really bad - the worst I've ever felt. ... Have I had a problem with coughing since I quit? ... It is that I regret having wasted my life ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Data points from Bill S.
    ... not smoking is letting some things come to the ... nicotine I was feeling really bad - the worst I've ever felt. ... Have I had a problem with coughing since I quit? ... It is that I regret having wasted my life ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: Data points from Bill S.
    ... Great post, thanks for that Bill. ... not smoking is letting some things come to the ... nicotine I was feeling really bad - the worst I've ever felt. ... Have I had a problem with coughing since I quit? ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: 4M
    ... too am celebrating my 4 months quit. ... Nicotine addiction means that when the nicotine leaves the body the ... The end result is that even while smoking the body is not getting ... confused in our minds with other feelings and needs. ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: Data points from Bill S.
    ... Bill, ... Do see your doc Bill and ask him about this and tell him how your feeling. ... not smoking is letting some things come to the ... nicotine I was feeling really bad - the worst I've ever felt. ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)