Re: Somebody nail me to my chair

vandiwa wrote:

Is there any substitute for the reward?  How do you people (quitters)
get by in life without instant gratification?

It's a good question. There's a tendancy to replace cigarettes with something else - food often and drink sometimes or shopping or gambling. I've been trying to get myself away from that treat mentality, that I need constant little treats to get myself through the day, but it's not easy. Some people have got healthier treats. I envy the British who can believe that a cup of tea is a treat. With the right tea and not too much cream or sugar added, it's even good for you. Meditation, aromatherapy, a walk - those are all good treats. But mostly I think it's best to try to eliminate the need for treats altogether. We're not children who need to be bribed to get our work done.

But sorry, that's for later. Eat your snickers. You're too early in the process to worry about all this. Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself right here and now and if later you become a stronger, better, more mature person as a result then how cool is that? But even if you don't, you still quit smoking and that's huge.

Dawn

  • Re: Any experience with this HK retailer ?
    ... OK shan't talk about the compressed brick... ... I think the Central one had more tea to offer ... Printed and added to my shopping list. ... You can find the pu'er cake mentioned by MarshalN on my blog ...
    (rec.food.drink.tea)
  • Re: Night Owl Smoke 18 Nov 07
    ... Finished most of our shopping for Thanksgiving today, ... Brewing some Apple and Cinnamon herb tea hot on the side in my horkin' ... Deere mug. ...
    (alt.smokers.pipes)
  • Re: Relative ship sizes in the B5 universe (and others)
    ... cream. ... On a Wednesday when you go shopping? ... that's when he has _buttered_ scones for tea. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
  • Re: This is as close as Ill come
    ... good on ya Tammy:) let's go SHOPPING! ... > Quitting smoking is the best gift I've ever given myself. ... It's shady, there's a hot tub, a pool, a pool boy (and ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: Relative ship sizes in the B5 universe (and others)
    ... On a Wednesday when you go shopping? ... that's when he has _buttered_ scones for tea. ... Wes Struebing ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)