Re: Ex-smokers biking?

"TammyM" <me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:42e57e47.77834079@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> August, in some ways, biking makes me feel like a kid again. And in
> other ways, it's a bit of an ego trip to me when I talk about my
> cycling and how it really began for me when I was nearing age 42, and
> that I (usually) do 100+ miles a week (20 commute miles each day,
> weather permitting, and whatever I do recreationally on the w/e.)

Well Tammy, i would say good for you! Nothing wrong with feeling good about
yourself and being proud of what you have accomplished. I must say, i am
impressed with what i read here from cyclists. I am not far from where you
were when you started cycling seriously, so that tells me there is hope for
me yet. I like bike riding, but i dont know how serious i would want to get
into it. These posts here are peaking my interest though!

~August

> I biked a bit in my late 20's-early 30's, but we're talking a
> "commute" of about 3 miles -- RT! At a truly leisurely pace. I feel
> almost re-born (in the non-religious sense, natch) with the biking
> lifestyle I lead now, I am much more physically fit, have very very
> strong legs (need more work on the u/b though, most do more weight
> resistance training), and this regimen is something I never would have
> contemplated when I was smoking 2+ packs/day.
>
> Anecdotally, one of my first rides when I started out (and before I
> even knew I was starting out!) was the full American River Bike Trail,
> start to finish, all 60+ miles of it. I truly did not think I was
> going to make the last 15 miles, and I seriously pissed off my much
> fitter companion with my difficulties but hey, I made it, I hurt like
> hell for a couple of days, and here I am, nearly 3 years later now
> capable of pretty easily doing 80 miles as I did not long ago.
>
> Next goal: full century, not the metric. Goal after that - the Death
> Ride!
>
> TammyM
> OOF

  • Re: Ex-smokers biking?
    ... Of course, it's just a regular around the town bike, but still.... ... August, in some ways, biking makes me feel like a kid again. ... one of my first rides when I started out (and before I ... all 60+ miles of it. ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: Primal Quest Race-500 miles long [was Re: Our Trip to Maine]
    ... They are currently mountain biking on this leg of the race. ... few miles into the course so a vet can do a quick inspection and make sure ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: world 100km champ trains only 60 mpw
    ... Was it the biking or a genetic gift? ... I do 5(25 miles) laps for a 50k and 8for a ... This is the part I'm really not sure about for a race like the escarpment ... these longer runs tend to add muscle bulk to my legs ...
    (rec.running)
  • Re: Training Week Ending September 4, 2005
    ... > FWIW the tried-and-true training program for the 100K race in Biel, ... If your asking can one substitute biking for running, ... especially in the last 20 miles. ... a great deal of discomfort with every step and not just the running ...
    (rec.running)