Re: Ex-smokers biking?

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:15:30 -0500, "~August" <august164@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Elle -
>I noticed the same thing when i first read Chris' post.... what is it with
>all these bikers??? What am i missing here? I haven't ridden my bike all
>summer. Of course, it's just a regular around the town bike, but still....
>so i decided to drag it out and go for a spin. Unfortunately, the triple
>digit temps stopped me. Maybe next week ;-)

August, in some ways, biking makes me feel like a kid again. And in
other ways, it's a bit of an ego trip to me when I talk about my
cycling and how it really began for me when I was nearing age 42, and
that I (usually) do 100+ miles a week (20 commute miles each day,
weather permitting, and whatever I do recreationally on the w/e.)

I biked a bit in my late 20's-early 30's, but we're talking a
"commute" of about 3 miles -- RT! At a truly leisurely pace. I feel
almost re-born (in the non-religious sense, natch) with the biking
lifestyle I lead now, I am much more physically fit, have very very
strong legs (need more work on the u/b though, most do more weight
resistance training), and this regimen is something I never would have
contemplated when I was smoking 2+ packs/day.

Anecdotally, one of my first rides when I started out (and before I
even knew I was starting out!) was the full American River Bike Trail,
start to finish, all 60+ miles of it. I truly did not think I was
going to make the last 15 miles, and I seriously pissed off my much
fitter companion with my difficulties but hey, I made it, I hurt like
hell for a couple of days, and here I am, nearly 3 years later now
capable of pretty easily doing 80 miles as I did not long ago.

Next goal: full century, not the metric. Goal after that - the Death
Ride!

TammyM
OOF

  • Re: Ex-smokers biking?
    ... > August, in some ways, biking makes me feel like a kid again. ... one of my first rides when I started out (and before I ... was the full American River Bike Trail, ... all 60+ miles of it. ...
    (alt.support.stop-smoking)
  • Re: biking equivalent to running
    ... On a bike these days for 1 Hour I suppose I could get maybe 21-24 miles on the flats although never raced a bike as such on a TT. ... Running and biking are rarely perfectly flat. ...
    (rec.running)
  • Re: motor bikes and CW ...
    ... DieSea wrote: ... Fifty years of biking. ... I wish I could get out more on the bike. ... 50 miles of where I live ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)
  • Re: Doing my first official 70.3 tomorrow
    ... The biking is definately the easiest of the three, ... equal running 13 miles, one would need to bike about 150 miles. ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Spodefest, one more time (part 1)
    ... because this meant that I couldn't destroy myself or my bike on the ... Heck it's only 30 miles to Atlanta, ... We made it to the trail head, ... suddenly realized the ground was about a foot lower than my foot could ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)