Re: Ex-smokers biking?

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:15:30 -0500, "~August" <august164@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Elle -
>I noticed the same thing when i first read Chris' post.... what is it with
>all these bikers??? What am i missing here? I haven't ridden my bike all
>summer. Of course, it's just a regular around the town bike, but still....
>so i decided to drag it out and go for a spin. Unfortunately, the triple
>digit temps stopped me. Maybe next week ;-)

August, in some ways, biking makes me feel like a kid again. And in
other ways, it's a bit of an ego trip to me when I talk about my
cycling and how it really began for me when I was nearing age 42, and
that I (usually) do 100+ miles a week (20 commute miles each day,
weather permitting, and whatever I do recreationally on the w/e.)

I biked a bit in my late 20's-early 30's, but we're talking a
"commute" of about 3 miles -- RT! At a truly leisurely pace. I feel
almost re-born (in the non-religious sense, natch) with the biking
lifestyle I lead now, I am much more physically fit, have very very
strong legs (need more work on the u/b though, most do more weight
resistance training), and this regimen is something I never would have
contemplated when I was smoking 2+ packs/day.

Anecdotally, one of my first rides when I started out (and before I
even knew I was starting out!) was the full American River Bike Trail,
start to finish, all 60+ miles of it. I truly did not think I was
going to make the last 15 miles, and I seriously pissed off my much
fitter companion with my difficulties but hey, I made it, I hurt like
hell for a couple of days, and here I am, nearly 3 years later now
capable of pretty easily doing 80 miles as I did not long ago.

Next goal: full century, not the metric. Goal after that - the Death
Ride!

TammyM
OOF
.