Re: MS symptoms poor perform--

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I can respect that they may not actually agree with my opinion.

In my opinion, having multiple sclerosis is not a free ticket to get a job that one is incapable of performing. I actually do believe in the reasonable accommodation principle, and that employers should make reasonable efforts in performing those duties. I also would like to see more people qualify for more and better benefits.

while I can sympathize with people who no longer can do their old job through no fault of their own, I do not agree that people should be paid to show up and not be able to perform their duties. In my opinion it is unreasonable for employers to the expected to bear this expense

I have always considered myself a social liberal and a fiscal conservative. I believe that society in general, has an obligation to assist those who find themselves in unfavorable circumstances through no fault of their own such as a disease.

I had been a union member, a union steward and the management representative throughout my career. I liked to work in management for a while and then work as a regular employee again every few years to keep in touch with the perceptions of both union and management. I believe that I was a better boss by frequently going back to do non-management duties to be reminded at what annoyed me when dealing with my boss.

That is why in Canada, we have the Canada pension disability insurance and for those who have not worked long enough to qualify, the provincial social assistance for disabled people is available. I know they do not pay that much but that is why they are there. at least in Canada, we have good health insurance In the United States, they have Medicare but from what I've seen on this newsgroup, we are much better off here in Canada. Someone on provincial insurance would be much better off than someone in the United States who required dental work or mobility devices or expensive prescriptions.

I do feel that there is some obligation on individuals to seek out appropriate insurance coverage when they are healthy. I realize this is not financially possible for everyone, but I certainly am happy that I paid in to these insurance plans when I still was healthy. unfortunately, if you are reading this newsgroup in most cases it is too late. If you have not been diagnosed, this is something you should certainly be checking into and following up on.

our culture regarding lawsuits in Canada is significantly different than in the US. in most union agreements there is a provision that discourages employees/union members from using lawyers by refusing assistance to any of the appeal processes until all internal processes have been exhausted if the employee/union member uses the courts to pursue their concerns.

there are many organizations such as the MS society or the coalition of people with disabilities that advocate on behalf of the disabled if they consider the issue important enough. They may assist in challenging policies in court, but it is a very expensive and lengthy process. their money is probably better spent trying to get the regulations or legislation improved for future

Lawsuits also do not pay any where near the amounts that US courts do, especially regarding punitive damages.

Although I suspect that I do not agree with the logic/reasoning of the person who started this thread. it was a fair topic, and that is why this use group encourages asking questions so we can benefit from the experience of others.

we all know that multiple sclerosis is not a good thing. What is that old saying, bad things can happen to good people.

Larry
rather than building character, adversity is more likely to reveal it
written with voice recognition software and a magic wand
.