Re: OT: Bread Kills

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:52:07 -0800, "Michael"
<muirhead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>GT Tick wrote:
>
>> Doug wrote....."This may seem a little bit crusty, but they found if
>> they used yeast to make their bread, they could feed more people. But
>> little known to them, it would cause yeast infection in people.".....
>> ---
>> ---
>> Doug, an often ignored yeast factoid. It was discovered in centuries
>> past that when applied to certain muscle groups it would cause a rising
>> affect. Why old men learned this but old women did not remains a
>> mystery.
>>
>> Brings an entirely new meaning to 'unleavened' don't you think?
>
>... not to mention an old meaning of "tumult", which was once widely used to
>describe the peak of primary fermentation in wine and beer musts.
>
>(and from whose latin root, "tumescent"... errrrr... arises).

Indeed! one can find folks in local taverns and bars completely
tumulted.

Donn

  • Re: Trouble with Cherry Wine
    ... Ray and Doug are right. ... Montrachet yeast always seems to foam a lot, ... >> never gone through the airlock before because the bubbles pop. ...
    (rec.crafts.winemaking)
  • Re: OT: Bread Kills
    ... > they used yeast to make their bread, ... > Doug, ... not to mention an old meaning of "tumult", which was once widely used to ...
    (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)
  • Re: OT: Bread Kills
    ... >they used yeast to make their bread, ... >Doug, ... Gets sort of crusty when you try to get all the relevant information ...
    (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)
  • Re: OT: Bread Kills
    ... Doug wrote....."This may seem a little bit crusty, ... they used yeast to make their bread, ... Doug, ...
    (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)
  • Re: Mario Batali, is he on amphetamine?
    ... rising is "proofing" and yes, a lot of fresh garlic on pizza is ... To dissolve yeast in a warm liquid (sometimes with a small ... And you think the existence of one meaning for a word is ... I'm with Bob@Buzz on this "proofing". ...
    (rec.food.cooking)