3rd annual: Are shoes the cause of multiple sclerosis?

TO: All multiple sclerosis researchers, doctors, and patients.

I am a 35-year-old electrical engineer investigating the biomechanical
effects of shoes on degenerative diseases. Each year I post about this
admittedly unusual connection, but thus far nobody has taken it
seriously.

Multiple sclerosis is just one example of diseases that are related to
the use of footwear. Statistical and physical evidence indicates that
the habitual use of footwear during childhood causes multiple sclerosis
in humans because countries and climates that utilize more or deforming
footwear exhibit greater prevalence of the disease. Women are affected
more than men; women's footwear is more physically deforming to the
feet because of higher heels, pointier toes, and smaller sizes, but any
shoe might have a more deforming effect on the lighter build of a
woman's body. Since multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease, it
seems reasonable that the habitual use of shoes could be the
predisposing condition for others, including rheumatoid arthritis,
lupus, and Crohn's disease.

Chiropodist Dr. Simon J. Wikler pioneered efforts to understand the
influences of shoes in the 1950's, but his work was neglected during
the subsequent drug- and diet-based approaches to medicine. However,
the prolific footwear historian and podiatrist Dr. William A. Rossi
clearly demonstrated throughout his publications that shoes influence
the posture of the human body. Therefore, using the posture-based
approaches to medicine of the distinguished orthopedist Dr. Joel E.
Goldthwait, I have expanded Dr. Wikler's insightful work to include a
variety of illnesses and conditions whose causes remain unknown. You
may find my thesis regarding shoes and disease on the Internet at:

http://www.shoebusters.com

My outlined treatment involves removing the cause, but resorting to
wide-toed, soft-soled moccasins; regularly applying a contrast bath, or
more descriptively, an alternate cold-hot footbath, to maintain
flexibility in the feet; rehabilitation of the abdominal muscles, via
forced exhalation, to balance the feet; and getting plenty of rest.

Thank you very much for considering my novel approach.

James Semmel
Albuquerque, NM

.