Fructose Looking Better all the Time for Diabetics

Since my latest post on Fructose, I just came across this.

Note that the researcher is the same on I provided the interview from
in the previous thread on fructose:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120621195734.htm

//*********************
New Evidence in Fructose Debate: Could It Be Healthy for Us?
ScienceDaily (June 21, 2012) — A new study by researchers at St.
Michael's Hospital suggests that fructose may not be as bad for us as
previously thought and that it may even provide some benefit.

"Over the last decade, there have been connections made between
fructose intake and rates of obesity," said Dr. John Sievenpiper, a
senior author of the study. "However, this research suggests that the
problem is likely one of overconsumption, not fructose."
The study reviewed 18 trials with 209 participants who had Type 1 and
2 diabetes and found fructose significantly improved their blood sugar
control. The improvement was equivalent to what can be achieved with
an oral antidiabetic drug.
Even more promising, Dr. Sievenpiper said, is that the researchers saw
benefit even without adverse effects on body weight, blood pressure,
uric acid (gout) or cholesterol.
Fructose, which is naturally found in fruit, vegetables and honey, is
a simple sugar that together with glucose forms sucrose, the basis of
table sugar. It is also found in high-fructose corn syrup, the most
common sweetener in commercially prepared foods.
In all the trials they reviewed, participants were fed diets where
fructose was incorporated or sprinkled on to test foods such as
cereals or coffee. The diets with fructose had the same amount of
calories as the ones without.
"Attention needs to go back where it belongs, which is on the concept
of moderation," said Adrian Cozma, the lead author of the paper and a
research assistant with Dr. Sievenpiper.
"We're seeing that there may be benefit if fructose wasn't being
consumed in such large amounts," Cozma said. "All negative attention
on fructose-related harm draws further away from the issue of eating
too many calories."
The paper was released June 23 in the July issue of Diabetes Care.
Although the results are encouraging, the authors warn that it's
important to be cautious because longer and larger studies are still
needed.

  • Re: How to Immediately Lower Blood Sugar
    ... All grasses contain fructose polymers called fructans in their ... What would be the symptoms of intolerance versus malabsorption? ... so separating out the cream does not remove the sugar. ... Apparently it enhances your muscles' ability to uptake glucose. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Im sorry but food is a political issue
    ... High fructose corn syrup is something else but is functionally ... Fructose and sucrose are two different types of sugar. ...
    (rec.gardens.edible)
  • Re: Sugar and diabetes , Robert Lustig
    ... countries, and lower in a few countries that are less integrated ... diabetic because of fructose intolerance (most sugar is 50 ... percent fructose), then that would explain this statistic. ... The one sugar that I can tolerate is glucose. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Request for analysis - new program
    ... Which fresh fruit is a question I would ... Good old table sugar, sucrose, ... difficulty absorbing fructose through the intestinal epithelium don't ... seem to have as much of a problem with the 50% fructose fraction from ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)
  • Re: Mixing Creatine with Protein Powder
    ... Table sugar as you know comes from crushed, boiled, centrifuged, ... Glucose, sucrose, HFCS55, or HFCS42 are preferable. ... Difficult to argue with, isnt it Steve? ... part of the glucose to fructose. ...
    (misc.fitness.weights)