needles

Hi,
I use an insulinpen. On the tip of the pen one screws a little needle.
To put in your thigh or belly (or other places) to inject the insulin from the innards of the pen into your body.

Now I wonder, if anyone else has the same problem as I have..

Each time as I use a new needle I get an extravasation of blood (contusion?) in the skin of my belly (where I mostly put insulin).
First a little hump, later a big bruise (dark-blue).
Only after a week or 4 I can go using that place again for injection.

Ive tried different needles (longer, shorter, thinner)- am since some years now busy with the shortest + thinnest ones.
Does not help.
My experience: the less I use new needles the better it goes.

Right now: I leave the needle on the pen-tip for about 8 weeks, then it gets too blunt for my liking, and I change to a new one.
With the same result: only _after_ some 2-3 weeks the needle is good for me to use. Before that I get "bruises" again because of the needle being new.
I do _not_ have dystrofia of the fat in the skin, i.e. no "bad places" - well, except then for these bruises, that come from hitting some artery!

Seems to me that I have arteries _just_ under my skin, and I get easily thru them with a new needle (one doesnt feel much with a new needle).
So when the needle gets a little blunter I can and do feel where I should be>>>getting almost no bruises.

Anyone an idea about this?

Thanks in advance.
Maya

  • Response from Sanofi
    ... The lady that I spoke to was upset that I injected more insulin after the ... She also said I am probably not putting the needle on right. ... needle and do an air shot. ... She then asked me if I would like to inject the ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Need more insulin help!
    ... you may be able to a 1/3 inch syringe (shorter needle). ... You then inject that air into the insulin vial. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Dietician and education
    ... any other insulin to cause a dangerous hypo when taking a hot bath or ... put the cap back on the needle and put it in the container. ... Meal insulin pen users shoot through their clothes all the ... will have him give me the new prescription for the Contour strips. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Pain when injecting insulin?
    ... I use the insulin pens for my Lantus and Humalog. ... Even though I am pinching the area I am going to inject ... held the needle in position for ten seconds. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Dietician and education
    ... Told me that Lantus was no more likely than any other insulin to cause a dangerous hypo when taking a hot bath or shower and that was unlikely to happen unless you injected into a muscle. ... I told her that the one I bought had some special way to remove the needle from the pen, but I didn't fully understand it because I hadn't actually seen the needle. ... Whatever you feel comfortable with - but no playing in litter boxes or dumpsters without a wash before injecting;-) ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)