Re: Tips for loosing cravings

Amazingly to me, after now about a year and a half of low-carbing I can actually put one small bite of a dessert on my plate at a social event, eat it and be satisfied just to have had the taste.

"GysdeJongh" <JonghSevenHundredElevenAtPlanet.nl> wrote in message news:4ee63ad0$0$9810$882e7ee2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MarkPeterson wrote:
I crave sweets and sugars. I am a chocoholic.
What are your best tips for curing cravings for carbs and
sweets? Some have said have some fat before a meal, but that
does not seem to work with me.

There are of course a number of theories why we crave something and a number methods for mitigating them.

The human body is literally stuffed with sensors for food. Optimised in evolution to promote survival. Before you start you might ask yourself if you are really convinced that you know much better what to eat and how much than your body.

There seem to be two general ways : 1) train yourself to cope with the seduction, and/or 2) remove all seduction from your diet and/or environment.

There is a discussion on Whole Health about "The Bland Diet" , which is supposed to remove all cravings.

<http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/>

60 Minutes Report on the Flavorist Industry
A reader sent me a link to a recent CBS documentary titled "Tweaking Tastes and Creating Cravings", reported by Morley Safer.

Safer describes the "flavorist" industry, entirely dedicated to crafting irresistible odors for the purpose of selling processed and restaurant food. They focused on the company Givaudin. Dr. David Kessler, author of The End of Overeating, makes an appearance near the end.

New Review Papers on Food Reward
As research on the role of reward/palatability in obesity continues to accelerate, interesting new papers are appearing weekly. Here is a roundup of review papers I've encountered in the last three months. These range from somewhat technical to very technical, but I think they should be mostly accessible to people with a background in the biological sciences.

Saw this training approach to day :

<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111207175825.htm>

New Approach to Management of Overeating in Children

Overeating, whether in children or adults, often takes place even in the absence of hunger, resulting in weight gain and obesity. Current methods to treat such overeating in youth focus on therapies that restrict what kids may eat, requiring them to track their food intake and engage in intensive exercise.

Such behavioral therapy techniques don't work long term, according to Kerri Boutelle, PhD, associate professor of psychiatry.

Their study, published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology this week, describes two new methods for reducing overeating. The overall aim of these studies is to

1) Improve responses to internal hunger and satiety cues

2) Decrease physiological and psychological responses to foods in the environment.

Basically, how do we learn to stop eating when we are no longer hungry?

In appetite awareness training subjects are trained to appropriately respond to hunger and satiety cues.

In cue exposure training subjects are trained to resist the food that is in front of them.

While the appetite awareness group focused on training the participants to regulate eating by focusing on internal cues of hunger and appetite, the cue exposure group trained the participants to tolerate cravings to reduce overeating.

Children and parents in the appetite awareness group brought dinner into the clinic and practiced monitoring their hunger and satiety cues throughout the meal. Children and parents in the cue exposure group brought in their highly craved foods and "stared them down" -- holding, smelling and taking small bites of the food -- for up to 20 minutes while rating their cravings, after which they threw away the food.
In post-treatment surveys, 75 percent of the children in the appetite awareness group and more than 50 percent of children in the cue exposure group liked the program "a lot" or "loved it." A high percentage (81 and 69 percent, respectively) reported feeling more in control of their eating due to the program.
The researchers assessed the impact of these two different eight-week treatments on body weight, overeating, binge eating and caloric intake in both the children and parents.

J Consult Clin Psychol. 2011 Dec;79(6):759-71.
Two novel treatments to reduce overeating in overweight children: A randomized controlled trial.
Objective: Our purpose in this study was to examine 2 treatments targeted at reducing eating in the absence of hunger in overweight and obese children. Method: Thirty-six overweight and obese 8- to 12-year-old children (58% female; mean age = 10.3 years, SD = 1.3), with high scores on eating in the absence of hunger, and their parents were randomly assigned to an 8-week children's appetite awareness training or cue exposure treatment-food. Children completed an eating in the absence of hunger (EAH) paradigm, an Eating Disorder Examination interview for children, and three 24-hr dietary recalls, and their height and weight were measured. Parents completed the EAH Questionnaire and the Binge Eating Scale, and their height and weight were measured. Assessments were conducted at baseline, posttreatment, and 6 and 12 months posttreatment. Results: Results showed that both treatments resulted in significant decreases in binge eating in children over time. Additionally, children in the food cue exposure treatment showed significant decreases in EAH posttreatment and 6 months posttreatment, but children in the appetite awareness training showed no change in EAH.

*Neither treatment produced significant effects on caloric intake*

*my 0.02*
*The article failed*

in children or on any of the parent outcomes. Conclusions: This study demonstrates that training in food cue responsitivity and appetite awareness has the potential to be efficacious for reducing EAH and binge eating in children. Because these data are preliminary, further treatment development and randomized controlled studies are needed. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2011 APA, all rights reserved).
PMID: 22122291

Gys

  • Re: Tips for loosing cravings
    ... There is a discussion on Whole Health about "The Bland Diet", which is supposed to remove all cravings. ... entirely dedicated to crafting irresistible odors for the purpose of selling processed and restaurant food. ... While the appetite awareness group focused on training the participants to regulate eating by focusing on internal cues of hunger and appetite, the cue exposure group trained the participants to tolerate cravings to reduce overeating. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • "ANGELS ONSHORE"
    ... Then comes angels ministering; to teach ... He ate by preference food which the others could not or would not ... souls to God that he could not move with words. ... eating too much, by eating too often, by eating too greedily, by eating too ...
    (alt.religion.christian)
  • Re: Why Fast?: Dr. David Perlmutter on Fasting
    ... about people getting fat again. ... all the food he could eat at his reach. ... Something has changed after being 24 or 48 hours without eating ... because I loved to read books. ...
    (talk.origins)
  • On Contrition of Heart (III)
    ... In the year 1556, at Leonissa in the Abruzzi in the kingdom of Naples, ... He ate by preference food which the others could ... With works of penance he strove to win over those souls to God that he ... required to be temperate in eating and drinking. ...
    (talk.religion.misc)