Re: BG measurements

"Robert Miles" <milesrf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4e40c0dc$0$497$a8266bb1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/3/2011 2:26 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Tiger Lily"<me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:99s68sFmkrU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 8/2/2011 8:22 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Ozgirl"<are_we_there_yet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:99rha3FhpqU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Janet"<boxhill@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:99rcvfFl5vU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ozgirl wrote:
"Susan"<susan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:99qfo5FkiiU2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x-no-archive: yes

On 8/1/2011 11:16 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Light-wise, yes. But the weather in much of the USA makes shades
economically quite valuable.

There are shades that let light filter through, and I think health
is
more important. I have shades that filter out all light in the
bedroom but I only close them during the heat of the afternoon on
very hot days (they face west). I always adjust them to let light
in when we sleep or any time it's not hot.

If possible, it's better to have highly insulated, gas filled
windows
than to block out normal sleep wake light cycles that also regulate
hormones.

And in the real world us plebs cover the windows to keep out the
heat
and the cold to save on electricity costs. We do what we have to
even
if it means health comes second.

In the real world around here, the kind of windows Susan describes
are
standard in new houses.. Many people have had them installed
retroactively because energy saving is a big deal and there were tax
credits available. I have an old house with oversized windows, and
refused point blank to tear them out and put in "replacement
windows,"
so
we got well-fitted storm windows instead. Keeping excessive heat out
is
not a serious issue here. Keeping the cold out and the heated air in
is
serious and can save a lot of money. There are various
state-sponsored
efforts to help people with insulating their houses.

My house is insulated, the owners paid for this. It doesn't mean a lot
on
cold days or very hot days. Our electricity bill is $700 every 3
months.
am on a govt pension (carer's pension). 4 days after my pension is
paid
into my account I have zero dollars left. It all went to rent - $350 a
week, food, regular household bills and fuel for the car. I am by no
means
even remotely alone in living like this. A new house? Not in my
lifetime
unless I win lotto. For $350 I have an undersized dump that's probably
100
years old. Judging by the number of stories I hear in here about
people
who can't even afford test strips then I can confidently say that even
just in this group I am not alone in being unable to even think about
the
luxury of blinds to keep my sleep cycles in line (or whatever it does)
let
alone buy them.

My house is insulated too. The problem when it is hot is that the heat
stays trapped in the house. I will be fine for the first day or maybe
two
of a heat wave and then I can't cool it off. Because of the way the
windows
are in this stupidly remodeled house there is no way to get a cross
breeze
much less a breeze at all. I have a deck that surrounds half of the
house.
It is unusable during hot weather because it just seems to trap the
heat.
And then it brings the heat into the house.

CostCo has some great industrial fans for far less than you would pay
via
an industrial retailer. I was SO glad for the one i bought 18 years ago
for $70 and i imagine i have many more years left in this fan........
cost
per year to date $3.89 per year.

You should see the air that sucker can move in a house that isn't well
ventilated to work with the air flow :D

We have plenty of fans. The problem is that we can get air in here, but
it's hot/warm air. Not cool air. Not until night anyway. Right now it
feels pretty cold in here.

Have you thought of opening the windows when the outside air
is at the right temperature, and keeping them closed at other
times? With a fan at the window if necessary.

Tried that and doesn't do any good. There is no way to get the cool air
into the house.

This house was remodeled very badly. It used to be a very tiny house. They
added at the back another bedroom, bathroom, family room and the stupid
deck.

There is a sliding door in the family room. I'm sure it would help if we
could open that door. But we can't. My husband somehow broke the
handle/lock on it when we were not home. I came home and found it laying in
pieces. I put it back on but now it is very hard to lock. Takes me about
12 tries sometimes and it feels as though the pieces are about to break.
That needs to be fixed. We also need to get new screens on the front and
kitchen doors. But we can't afford it.

The window we have open in the family room and also in my bedroom are both
wide but very short up and down. Only maybe a foot and a half high. And
they are up very high. To see out of them I must stand on my toes. Stupid
design. There are two other windows in this room that are a good height but
we are afraid to open them. The burglar got in through those windows.

The whole middle of the house has no windows at all. There are very small
windows in the kitchen but I have found I am better off keeping them closed.
I don't know why.

The window in the living room needs to be replaced. It can't be opened.
Again, can't afford it.

The windows in my husband's and Angela's rooms can be opened but there is
something wrong with the doors to their rooms and they won't stay open.
Again, can't afford to get those fixed but... Due to to the remodel, those
rooms sit off at a weird angle. I am not sure it would do any good for the
rest of the house if the doors were open. Angela does have a doorstop to
hold hers open.

We are just lucky that it hasn't gotten to 80 outside here yet. It was 80
in our house the other night when it was 50 outside. The open window didn't
help at all.

.