Re: I realise I don't really enjoy mash

"RodS" <fred@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:j0uguj$k4a$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 29/07/2011 9:50 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
Over the past 11 years I have pretty much avoided mashed potato and on
occasion when I did have potato it was usually a small jacket, new
potato or roast potatoes. Sometimes fries with a steak meal when out.
Well tonight we had ham steaks grilled with grilled pineapple slices,
corn on the cob and some greens and did mash for the kids. I decided I
would have serve of mash (as opposed to a lick of a spoon) as I haven't
been grocery shopping this week and the low carb veggie pickings are
sparse. Even with a creamy, garlic sauce I honestly didn't enjoy the
mash at all. So I had idealised mash for nothing ;)

You should have tried my mothers, sort of a grayish colour with a taste
you just couldn't pick what it was, I was 15 before I realised the mashed
potato was supposed to be white. Mums secret ... she always burned the
potatoes :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

Rod,

I pulled kitchen patrol in my National Guard unit many years ago and they
needed potatoes mashed for lunch ... so I up-sized my mom's recipe:

100 pounds potatoes; boil till very soft
2 gallons whole milk
10 pounds butter
1 pound salt
1 1/4 pound coarse black pepper

The troops came back begging for seconds on the potatoes . . . . . . . . .

And the Mess Sergeant offered me a job as a cook ... but I don't like to
ruin good food.

Budd

  • Re: The economics of trees
    ... the Irish population reflect potatoes actually eaten, ... So 14lbs of raw potatoes might ... No it's not the Calories that put me off, it is the thought of eating ... eaters have eaten only three pounds of the ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: I realise I dont really enjoy mash
    ... and they needed potatoes mashed for lunch ... ... 100 pounds potatoes; ... Peel and toss in a dozen or so heads of garlic when you boil the ... run poorly by the government will go gradually back to the original ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: I realise I dont really enjoy mash
    ... Budd Cochran wrote: ... and they needed potatoes mashed for lunch ... ... 100 pounds potatoes; ... Peel and toss in a dozen or so heads of garlic when you boil the ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Easter Dinner
    ... pushing 400 pounds I thought I would make something healthy. ... Green Bean casserole. ... Turkey, ham, cheeze potatoes, green bean cassarole, cali/broc combo, mashed sweet potatoes, rolls, bread, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes/gravy. ...
    (rec.sport.football.college)
  • Re: Potato peeling gadgets??
    ... A wider or longer peeler will not save you any time when peeling ... but peeling larger potatoes are a great time saver... ... the size, each weighed more than a pound, some nearly two pounds. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)