Re: Salt and Diabetes: Is There a Problem?

<kurtwheeling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
http://blog.joslin.org/2011/07/salt-and-diabetes-is-there-a-problem/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JoslinDiabetesCenterBlog+%28Joslin+Diabetes+Center+Blog%29

(excerpt)

Sodium is one of the body's electrolytes. An electrolyte is a
substance which can transmit electricity. Many of our body's functions
(such as muscle contraction) are controlled through electrical
impulses by the movement of electrolytes.

But can we have too much of a good thing?Sodium is responsible for

?Regulation of blood pressure
?Regulation of blood volume
?Functioning of muscles and nerves
?Glucose absorption

Despite its vital role, we need very little sodium, a bit less than
500mg a day (approx ¼ teaspoon of salt).

A lot depends on the climate you're in as well.

I'm in a low humidity, "toasty" summer time climate (occasional days of 100
degree temps and under 25% humidity) and I'm also a on a low salt diet.

If I'm working in my yard or shop under these weather conditions, I crave
salt, so I will consume more. My medical provider has no concerns over the
extra salt when needed.

Budd ( who is now down to 215!!!! First time since 1981)

.