Re: Salt and Diabetes: Is There a Problem?

<kurtwheeling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
http://blog.joslin.org/2011/07/salt-and-diabetes-is-there-a-problem/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JoslinDiabetesCenterBlog+%28Joslin+Diabetes+Center+Blog%29

(excerpt)

Sodium is one of the body's electrolytes. An electrolyte is a
substance which can transmit electricity. Many of our body's functions
(such as muscle contraction) are controlled through electrical
impulses by the movement of electrolytes.

But can we have too much of a good thing?Sodium is responsible for

?Regulation of blood pressure
?Regulation of blood volume
?Functioning of muscles and nerves
?Glucose absorption

Despite its vital role, we need very little sodium, a bit less than
500mg a day (approx ¼ teaspoon of salt).

A lot depends on the climate you're in as well.

I'm in a low humidity, "toasty" summer time climate (occasional days of 100
degree temps and under 25% humidity) and I'm also a on a low salt diet.

If I'm working in my yard or shop under these weather conditions, I crave
salt, so I will consume more. My medical provider has no concerns over the
extra salt when needed.

Budd ( who is now down to 215!!!! First time since 1981)

  • Re: Long rides, hot humid weather = replenishing electrolytes?
    ... was given four IV pouches to replenish electrolytes. ... electrolytes added to water is to reduce the tendency of water ... Use unrefined sea salt in ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: How do you Beat the Heat?
    ... There seems to be a lot of confusion on the whole electrolytes issue. ... of course, table salt. ... The concentration of salt in the cells is greater than the ... and you've just taken a big drink of water. ...
    (rec.sport.unicycling)
  • Re: Salt and Diabetes: Is There a Problem?
    ... Sodium is one of the body’s electrolytes. ... Despite its vital role, we need very little sodium, a bit less than ... MedLine indicate that salt has very little to do with blood pressure, ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Salt and Diabetes: Is There a Problem?
    ... Sodium is one of the body’s electrolytes. ... Despite its vital role, we need very little sodium, a bit less than ... MedLine indicate that salt has very little to do with blood pressure, after all these years of thinking it does. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Salt and Diabetes: Is There a Problem?
    ... Sodium is one of the body's electrolytes. ... (such as muscle contraction) ... MedLine indicate that salt has very little to do with blood pressure, ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)