Re: Diabetes or Not?

On 7/25/2011 5:51 AM, outsider wrote:
On 7/25/2011 3:32 AM, BlueBrooke wrote:

I had a similar conversation with someone just in the past few weeks.
He's on Metformin and his doctor has told him he probably needs to
start on insulin, but they've upped his Metformin dosage for the time
being to see if he can avoid that.

Why would anyone avoid insulin? It seems to avoid the side effects
of all the other diabetes relevant drugs.

sider, check for Old Al's posts on usenet. He's been on the road for a few years now, but he used to give good presentations on the vast benefits of metformin, especially for a type 2 diabetic. one protection that gets my attention is 'cardio-protective'!

kate

  • Re: metformin
    ... Metformin doesn't normalize blood sugars in anyone except those who are insulin resistant, produce decent amounts of insulin, and who also cut back on carbohydrate and lose excess weight. ... most people with Type 2 diabetes who take metformin see only about a 1% drop in A1c remain at blood sugar levels that are much too high to be healthy--levels like where you were at after your kids were born or worse. ... It might be worth annoying your doctor until he lets you switch to one of those. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: prednisone - high bgs
    ... and didn't increase her dose, even when the doctor told her to do so. ... Your friend would do well to TELL the doctor, "If insulin is ... Increasing their metformin dose also seems to be fairly ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: I wanted to update you on my friend . . .
    ... know how much insulin to use if she wasn't testing before she ate. ... doctor told her to just use the same amount with every meal. ... She has put her on Metformin and Byetta (in addition to her insulin -- ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Confused about my BS readings
    ... It was the doctor int he hospital that put me on insulin, ... went with insulin for the simple reason that he wouldn't listen to me or ... But the hospital doctor wouldn't listen to me (seriously, ... years ago he went onto Metformin and dropped the insulin. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: BE GENTLE I just joined...
    ... shots of Novolog) plus Metformin 3 pills/day. ... I applaud your doctor. ... You didn't say if you are a T1 or T2, since you are on metformin ... I would be interested in knowing how much insulin you use. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)