Re: Well controlled t-2, yet neuropathy beginnings?

Kurt <kurtwheeling1965@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 4, 5:10 am, Chris Malcolm <c...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Using my meter I started identfiying and removing the food items which
were causing the BG spikes. The most serious culprit was those healthy
whole grains. The second most serious was starchy vegetables.

Removing those from my diet brought my postprandial BG spikes under
140. And after several months of my BG-healthy no-grain diet I was
recovering well from all those symptoms. The weird thing is that a
heart-healthy whole grain diet was supposed to help all those
symptoms. But it didn't. It was a heart-healthy no-grain diet which
did the trick.

Seems to be a not uncommon experience among T2s here.

Proving once again that anecdotal stories from low carb disciples
trumps any kind of science.

Not at all. That's not the point.

You sneered at Susan's claim that there was a lot of anecdotal support
for low carbing removing some gastric problems. What some including me
have been pointing out to you is that over the years there has been
aanecdotal support for that idea in asd, plus references to the low
carb newsgroup where there was more.

It seems that now the existence of the anecdotal support has been
confirmed you next wish to question the utility of such
anecdotes. We've discussed this before, but a reprise is always
useful.

You're quite correct in suggesting that in scientific research
anecdotes count for nothing. That's because they can't be
verified. But in science experiment is the ultimate trump, and here in
asd we are experimenting with our own bodies, diets, exercise regimes,
medications, and meters. My body, my science experiment.

By means of carrying out experiments upon ourselves we can test
anecdotes and transform them into experiments. It's these personal
experiments which quite properly can trump any published research
anyone cares to cite. But only of course for the person who has done
the experiment. For anyone who hasn't it's still just anecdotal until
they try it for themselves.

A "stranger in a newsgroup" claiming a low carb diet made their hair
fall out is just an anecdote. But if you try a low carb diet and your
hair falls out it it ceases to be anecdote for you. It becomes an
experiment you tried. And in science experiment trumps everything
else, including research papers which claim low carbing cures
baldness.

That's the great value of personal anecdotes in a support newsgroup of
people with similar medical problems. Using anecdotes and our own
personal experiments we can become informal study groups helping each
other to fill in the gaps of detail which are always present in the
broad brush sweeps of epidemiological research.

The informal low carb study group here is one of the notable success
stories. Lots of people have tried it and found that it works for
them.

--
Chris Malcolm
.