Re: Lisinopril?

"outsider" <outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:ido0oj$2al$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/8/2010 3:25 AM, Ellen K. wrote:

"outsider" <outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:idm8bg$ksc$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Of course sleep apnea played a huge role as well, but I'd been living
with that all my life so medications were the proximate cause.

[...]

. Blablabla I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and the
whole thing with the cpap was horribly mismanaged with the end result
that I can't use one now because I learned how to take it off while
sleeping.

[...]

There's a whole different system that a close relative recently (2010)
received. It is called an oxygen concentrator. They use a simple in the
nostrils concentrated oxygen rig that you see people in hospitals with.

The sleep apnea test is simplified with the person sleeping at home
wearing a wristwatch connected to a pulse-oximeter that records the
pulse and O2 levels for an entire night. If the results are positive for
apneas, it is run a second time with the oxygen enrichment in place
to see if the apneas are reduced. In my relative's case it worked and
is now a permanent fixture.

My cousin uses an oxygen concentrator, the difference between this and a regular oxygen device is that no bottled oxygen is required, the concentrator literally concentrates the oxygen out of the air. Brilliant idea I think.

I could probably tolerate just the little oxygen things in the nose. I didn't know this was a possible cpap alternative. Maybe I will ask about retesting (also to see if / how much the weight loss and the bed wedge are helping) and instead of the second night being with a cpap, try an oxygen concentrator. Thanks for the information.

I bought myself a bed wedge from RelaxTheBack and the
frequency of the sleep attacks diminished considerably.

Sometimes when I wake up and cannot get back to sleep I go on the
computer for a bit, and then lend myself on the sofa with a quilt, and
wedge my back into the corner while lying down. Yes, that works
well for me.

> The truck-ran-me-over days still happen, I guess about once
a week. I don't think they are from sleep apnea because I think the
combination of the wedge and getting my BG under control (and possibly
the weight I've lost) got rid of that.

See below. When you already have a good diagnosis the conventional
wisdom approach seems to be to stick with it.

My feeling was that the "sleep attacks" were from the apnea, the truck-ran-me-over days from something else. But you could be right. I think retesting might be a good idea as noted above.

The scary thing a couple of weeks
ago was that I had bad nerve pain in my feet and legs concurrent with it
on one of those days, I posted about it. Challenging business, this
aging thing.

Beats the dickens out of the alternatives.

Yep.

I think a person does know his or her own body better than any lab test
or whatever. But it's tough to get attention paid to something one knows
is wrong when the official tests don't show anything.

I think they're taught not to go outside the acceptable parameters, and
without a test to back them up, insurance companies are loath to pay
even if what is prescribed actually works.

The doctor that put me on the lisinopril wanted to give me a diuretic
but I refused. As a person with a history of kidney stones which
thankfully have not recurred recently I do NOT want to start tweaking
the amount of water in my system.

This time I'm going to urge you to use some of that investigative wisdom
you came to this ng equipped with and do some research that I didn't
bother to do because when my physician addressed my BP issues with
this diuretic I was desperate for a solution. It is the most recently prescribed
medication and has, overall, done quite well by me. There's something
about the intracellular sodium in hypertensives compared to the control
population.

I'm not going to urge you any further to try a diuretic because it is your
body etc, but knowledge *is* power.

My BP is thankfully fine now with just the 5 mg lisinopril, so my inclination is "If it ain't broke..."

I get palpitations / rapid heartbeat most often at night... very
frequently I fall asleep quickly on retiring and start dreaming right
away (contrary to what books about sleep say is supposed to happen) but
wake up with the rapid heartbeat after about 10 minutes, sometimes I
also wake up with it in the morning. It seems to happen significantly
less since I started supplementing with magnesium. On the
truck-ran-me-over days I almost always wake up with it.

When you have a good solid diagnosis of sleep apnea why would you
abandon it in favor of declaring apnea symptoms to derive from some
other "unknown" factor? The pulse-oximeter testing I mentioned above
detects apneas by exactly that sort of palpitation combined with a
resulting drop in blood oxygen saturation levels. I can't sit here in a
remote location and diagnose the palpitations but the odds are very
strongly in favor of them resulting from an apnea. Because we reduce
them we usually don't eliminate them 100%.

Just want to clarify that the generally higher-than-other-people pulse I mentioned is NOT the rapid heartbeat episodes described above but rather what my pulse will be when randomly tested. I read about people with a resting pulse of 60, I'm usually in the 80's or 90's.

I need to add that in my reading somewhere I remember reading of a
correlation between atrial fibrillation and sleep apnea. My relative
has atrial fibrillation and was subsequently diagnosed with the
apnea problem as well. The concentrated oxygen solution has worked
very well there, although not eliminating 100% of the apneas (and
neither does my mask system.)

The reason for resolving sleep apnea isn't as much for better sleep
(which is a secondary benefit IMO) but is to reduce the unnecessary
stress on the heart.

All that being said, I've offered the wisdom that isn't special but derives
from a life journey different from your own and wish you the best of all
possible outcomes whatever choices you make.

Whatever. <shrug>

When the mysteries are all solved, is there any life?

  • Re: Ear and Sinus Trouble
    ... Sleep apnea is much more prevalent in overweight ... When I first approached my former doc about my apnea, he said, "You ... between breathing and not - an Aleve or two makes a difference for me, ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)
  • Re: Lisinopril?
    ... with that all my life so medications were the proximate cause. ... The sleep apnea test is simplified with the person sleeping at home ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: OT do any of you have sleep apnea
    ... I had my tonsils/Adenoids out when I was 10 or 11. ... And now I have apnea. ... Snoring is not necessarily a sign of sleep apnea. ... it is rare for someone to stop breathing long ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: Expensive cat toy
    ... > sleep, even though my apnea is on the mild side. ... what constitutes the "mild side" in your case? ... Ha ha - but you know, if you're capable of disassembling a CPAP in your ...
    (rec.pets.cats.anecdotes)
  • Re: FAA Medical and pilots with Sleep Apnea
    ... Sleep Apnea isn't something that sneaks up on you like a stroke or heart attack. ... Apnea just keeps you from sleeping correctly and if you've had a problem while sleeping, you know it when you get up. ... condition that wears you down over time - sometimes years. ...
    (rec.aviation.owning)