Re: Black Bean Soup recipe ?
- From: Paul L <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 13:42:59 -0700
On 11/29/2010 1:26 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
Paul L<paul@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Seeing Freckles post got me thinking that I'd like to try to work some
beans into my diet. Tomorrow is my mother's birthday ... the first
since her passing ... and one of her very favorite foods was black bean
Do you have a favorite black bean soup recipe that doesn't require a
pressure cooker ?
Here's one, Paul:
Black Bean Pottage:
1 pound dried black beans (habichuelas negras)
2 qts water
2/3 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
2 onions, peeled finely chopped
6 'sweet' chile pappers, seeded, finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp whole dried oregano, crushed
2 Tbs sugar
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 bay leaves
2 Tbs dry wine
1-1/2 Tbs vinegar
1/2 cup chopped onion
1. Clean and blanche or soak beans as you like.
2. Place items in 'A' in a kettle, bring rapidly to a boil, then reduce
heat to moderate. Cover and cook around 45 minutes.
3. Heat a large skillet, put in olive oil, then the rest of the items in
'B'. Sautee over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Drain the beans and add them to the skillet. Mash all thoroughly, then
return them to the kettle. Add the items in 'C'. Stir, cover and and boil
for 1 hour over moderate heat, adding water as needed.
5. Add the items in 'D', stir cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour,
adding water as needed.
6. If a thicker sauce is desired, uncover and continue cooking 'til you're
7. Sprinkle with chopped onion when serving in cup bowls or soup plates.
Original recipe by Carmen Aboy Valldejuli, author of "Cocina Criolla".
Thanks Kurt, Janet and Nick ... I'm going to soak the beans for this one tonight and give it a go tomorrow.
- Prev by Date: Re: Black Bean Soup recipe ?
- Next by Date: Re: Anything special for thanksgiving?
- Previous by thread: Re: Black Bean Soup recipe ?
- Next by thread: Re: Black Bean Soup recipe ?