Re: Is this a problem?

On 4/6/2010 10:50 AM, W. Baker wrote:
sometimers<sometimers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

: In the 1950's and before there were a lot of things universally,
: or almost so, accepted that you can doubtless find moral objection
: to today. The US is busy rewriting not only how things were
: understood, but obliterating entire segments of history whenever
: possible. For example, Columbus was seen as a hero in my youth.
: Many today see him as a villain. There's been some movement towards
: eliminating him from history studies mostly because his impact is
: seen today as too Eurocentric.

And in Texas, the very conservative school text book committee is
eliminating Thomas Jefferson from the History text books and eliminating
the secular or at most Deist bent of the founding fathers.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Yes I saw this tiny news blip on CNN. It was only mentioned once. It appears that Texas is going to revise history to match what has become a far right theocratic consciousness. I wonder how long it will be before we have another "Scopes" trial.

The far right lunatic fringe has become mainstream in the GOP and conservatism generally. Conservatism has come a very long way from what it was in the 60s. I voted for Barry Goldwater and would again.

Every conservative politician must now pay homage to Rush Limbaugh. I think our country is taking a turn back away from civil rights and freedom in general. Much of the rest of the world's democracies are aghast at what we are becoming.

Michael

  • U.S. history textbooks could soon be flavored heavily with Texas conservatism
    ... U.S. history textbooks could soon be flavored heavily with Texas conservatism ... Last Friday, in a 10-to-5 vote split right down party lines, the Texas ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: The Great Conservative Walkback
    ... of fundamentalism become, the fewer warm bodies will fill its ranks. ... What I'm saying here is that, long term, conservatism can't particularly ... progressivism, any more than communism could win against basic premises of ... think we have a very violent & bloody period of human history ahead of us. ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • Re: The Great Conservative Walkback
    ... of fundamentalism become, the fewer warm bodies will fill its ranks. ... What I'm saying here is that, long term, conservatism can't particularly ... progressivism, any more than communism could win against basic premises of ... think we have a very violent & bloody period of human history ahead of us. ...
    (rec.music.artists.springsteen)
  • Re: Is this a problem?
    ... eliminating him from history studies mostly because his impact is ... Conservatism has come a very long way from what ... North Korea or The United States." ... The United States: 86.9 % ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Frightening - Talk about Govt Masters! Feudal!
    ... conservatism that is primarily concerned with maintaining the status ... the rich stay rich and powerful at the expense of The People. ... Talk about rewriting history. ... where the sun dont shine. ...
    (rec.martial-arts)