Re: Low cortisol and low thyroid OT

"Julie Bove" <juliebove@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hi2e18$da5$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Susan" <susan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7qjk84FljdU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x-no-archive: yes

MaryL wrote:

It sounds like you do not have any confidence in this doctor. Therefore
(and despite the additional cost), I would recommend a second opinion.
There is no way that anyone on this NG can diagnose the types of
problems you describe--and, frankly, neither can you. You are
"guessing" that you do not fit certain profiles, but that only gives you
information to raise questions with your doctors and not a way to
actually make a diagnosis. And it does no good to go to doctors for a
whole battery of tests and then decide to simply ignore prescriptions.

Julie has needed to see the expert in pituitary adrenal disorders in
Seattle for years now. If the naturopath is right, all of those point to
Cushing's, which cannot be evaluated by a single 24 hour urine test, nor
can TSH diagnose thyroid disorder; one has to know if one is dealing with
central or secondary thyroid disorder and the normal test results often
mask it.

Bill Ludlam is a neuroendocrinologist in Seattle who patients with
Julie's symptoms travel to from all over the country for problems just
like hers.

So you're saying LOW cortisol points to Cushing's? Everything I read said
that is HIGH cortisol and low cortisol is Addison's.
I've found a web web sites that look relevant to discussing Cushing's, but
since
I don't have any sign of it, you could easily know more about it already.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushing%27s_syndrome

http://www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/cushings/cushings.htm

http://www.csrf.net/

http://www.cushings-help.com/

http://www.cushings-help.com/acanthosis.htm

http://www.eje-online.org/cgi/content/abstract/89/3/461

http://cushings.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=199

http://www.cushings-help.com/interactive.htm

http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~Jq9qU8PomOh8NK

Some items that at least mention cyclic Cushing's:

http://www.eje.org/cgi/content/full/157/3/245

http://www.csrf.net/members_letters.php

http://www.csrf.net/dr_answers/question:_what_is_cyclic_cushings.php

http://www.endocrine-abstracts.org/ea/0016/ea0016p298.htm

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/16277172

http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/record/17766705/abstract/Cyclic_Cushing's_syndrome:_a_clinical_challenge_

http://springerlink.com/content/k872n5lw7631hk14/

Summary - cyclic Cushing's is rare and hard to diagnose; just one
set of measurements is seldom enough.

Robert Miles

  • Re: Low cortisol and low thyroid OT
    ... There is no way that anyone on this NG can diagnose the types ... nor can TSH diagnose thyroid disorder; one has to know if one is dealing ... So you're saying LOW cortisol points to Cushing's? ... I've found a web web sites that look relevant to discussing Cushing's, ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Low cortisol and low thyroid OT
    ... I would recommend a second opinion. ... There is no way that anyone on this NG can diagnose the types of problems ... central or secondary thyroid disorder and the normal test results often ... So you're saying LOW cortisol points to Cushing's? ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Low cortisol and low thyroid OT
    ... I would recommend a second opinion. ... If the naturopath is right, all of those point to Cushing's, which cannot be evaluated by a single 24 hour urine test, nor can TSH diagnose thyroid disorder; one has to know if one is dealing with central or secondary thyroid disorder and the normal test results often mask it. ... Bill Ludlam is a neuroendocrinologist in Seattle who patients with Julie's symptoms travel to from all over the country for problems just like hers. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: MS and Lyme disease
    ... essentially to diagnose MS they ... alternative is to ask for a second opinion preferably at a research ... arms or legs. ... Has anyone ever tried LDN therapy? ...
    (alt.support.mult-sclerosis)
  • Re: Game 53---May 25th.---Dons grade/thoughts !!!
    ... to their speciality. ... In that case I diagnose you as being a flaming ... for a second opinion if you question mine. ... the same malady in my professional opinion. ...
    (alt.sports.baseball.bos-redsox)