Re: Protein, does it cause later BG spikes?

"Michael" <micoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I believe it was Kurt, but I am not sure, who suggested that a protein meal
would cause a spike at 3 hours out.

I decided to test that idea on myself this morning.

I woke up with a FBG of 115. I began eating breakfast at 10.
An hour later it was 104
An hour later it was 102
An hour later it was 110

So, this last reading may have been a protein spike or simply the
beginning of a liver dump, I don't know. I ate nothing during those three
hours. However, I do believe it indicates that it is probably just fine
for T2s to eat a big meal of protein and fat. Please note, that the final
3 hour reading was 5 points below the start reading.

My meal consisted of 4 fried eggs and about 8 ounces of ham. BTW the ham
had been trimmed of fat. The only fat was from the eggs.

So anyway, these are some more data points for us T2s to mull over.

Michael

An 8 point increase in one hour is a spike? Where did you get that
information?

Freckles

  • Re: OATMEAL ... can any of us type 2s eat it ???
    ... of when the reading is taken. ... Timing depends on purpose. ... and reducing the size of the peak pp BG spike by flattening the ... the position of the pp BG peak may depend more on the timing ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Protein, does it cause later BG spikes?
    ... this last reading may have been a protein spike or simply the ... for T2s to eat a big meal of protein and fat. ... My meal consisted of 4 fried eggs and about 8 ounces of ham. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Protein, does it cause later BG spikes?
    ... this last reading may have been a protein spike or simply the ... fine for T2s to eat a big meal of protein and fat. ... My meal consisted of 4 fried eggs and about 8 ounces of ham. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Protein, does it cause later BG spikes?
    ... So, this last reading may have been a protein spike or simply the beginning of a liver dump, I don't know. ... I do believe it indicates that it is probably just fine for T2s to eat a big meal of protein and fat. ... My meal consisted of 4 fried eggs and about 8 ounces of ham. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Interesting. Is it dangerously low?
    ... thighs, a tuna sandwich on rye bread, and a 1/2 cup ... My post-excercise reading was 69. ... Your natural insulin was coupled with exercise. ... My experience has been that when I spike a little higher ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)