Re: Shellfish May Raise Diabetes Risk

Kurt <kurtwheeling1965@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetesnewsarticle.jsp?storyId=21153544&filename=20091021/reuters20091021health00000011reutershealthewEDIT.xml

: or

: http://tinyurl.com/ylcnkud

: (excerpt)

: NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Eating white and oily fish regularly may
: provide protection against type 2 diabetes, but eating shellfish may
: have the opposite effect, a study from the UK hints.

: The study team noted about 25 percent less risk type 2 diabetes among
: men and women who reported eating one or more, as opposed to fewer,
: servings of white or oily fish each week.

: Unexpectedly, however, they found that men and women who ate similar
: amounts of shellfish -- primarily prawns, crab, and mussels -- had
: about 36 percent increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

: But "it may not be the 'shellfish' per se which increased the risk for
: diabetes," Dr. Nita Forouhi, of Addenbrooke's Hospital, University of
: Cambridge, noted in an email to Reuters Health.

: Rather, the cooking and preparation methods used in the UK, for
: example, oils used when frying or butter- and mayonnaise-based sauces
: served with shellfish, may increase cholesterol intake which, in turn,
: may raise diabetes risk.

Well, I guess it pays to be kosher:-) Some benefit to having to give up
all that lovely shellfish.

Wendy

  • Re: My Blood Tests&something New
    ... As I had cut back on meds adn had been eating strangely, ... a <6 as normal range it had the following entries: ... 5.7-6.0 increased risk of Diabetes ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • My Blood Tests&something New
    ... As I had cut back on meds adn had been eating strangely, ... Total Cholesterol 170 ... 5.7-6.0 increased risk of Diabetes ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Shellfish May Raise Diabetes Risk
    ... NEW YORK - Eating white and oily fish regularly may ... provide protection against type 2 diabetes, but eating shellfish may ... The study team noted about 25 percent less risk type 2 diabetes among ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: My Blood Tests&something New
    ... As I had cut back on meds adn had been eating strangely, ... Total Cholesterol 170 ... 5.7-6.0 increased risk of Diabetes ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: new to group
    ... Two months before this i had the classic symptoms but didnt put it all ... Sad thing is my mother died at 35 from complication from diabetes but was ... type one since childhood and im 37 and body build for fun and am never ... meals and 100-120 a hour after eating. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)