Re: Shellfish May Raise Diabetes Risk

Kurt <kurtwheeling1965@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetesnewsarticle.jsp?storyId=21153544&filename=20091021/reuters20091021health00000011reutershealthewEDIT.xml

: or

: http://tinyurl.com/ylcnkud

: (excerpt)

: NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Eating white and oily fish regularly may
: provide protection against type 2 diabetes, but eating shellfish may
: have the opposite effect, a study from the UK hints.

: The study team noted about 25 percent less risk type 2 diabetes among
: men and women who reported eating one or more, as opposed to fewer,
: servings of white or oily fish each week.

: Unexpectedly, however, they found that men and women who ate similar
: amounts of shellfish -- primarily prawns, crab, and mussels -- had
: about 36 percent increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

: But "it may not be the 'shellfish' per se which increased the risk for
: diabetes," Dr. Nita Forouhi, of Addenbrooke's Hospital, University of
: Cambridge, noted in an email to Reuters Health.

: Rather, the cooking and preparation methods used in the UK, for
: example, oils used when frying or butter- and mayonnaise-based sauces
: served with shellfish, may increase cholesterol intake which, in turn,
: may raise diabetes risk.

Well, I guess it pays to be kosher:-) Some benefit to having to give up
all that lovely shellfish.

Wendy

  • Re: My Blood Tests&something New
    ... As I had cut back on meds adn had been eating strangely, ... a <6 as normal range it had the following entries: ... 5.7-6.0 increased risk of Diabetes ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • My Blood Tests&something New
    ... As I had cut back on meds adn had been eating strangely, ... Total Cholesterol 170 ... 5.7-6.0 increased risk of Diabetes ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Shellfish May Raise Diabetes Risk
    ... NEW YORK - Eating white and oily fish regularly may ... provide protection against type 2 diabetes, but eating shellfish may ... The study team noted about 25 percent less risk type 2 diabetes among ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: My Blood Tests&something New
    ... As I had cut back on meds adn had been eating strangely, ... Total Cholesterol 170 ... 5.7-6.0 increased risk of Diabetes ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)
  • Re: Stigma of adult diabetes
    ... " I have actually experienced this by eating at mealtime although I am not ... hungry and finding that EATING made me hungry. ... I always say I wish I had type 2 diabetes. ... do somehting more to control it. ...
    (alt.support.diabetes)