Re: sobriety sucks

Anon <anonnospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Susan" <susan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:751ip5F15k6vaU1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x-no-archive: yes

Anon wrote:

Yesterday I went to the mall and sit in the Coffee Bean and drank
cappuccinos for 3 hours. Then I walked around the mall for half an hour
for exercise. My legs are sore today but I feel a lot better. I'm going
back this afternoon for another cappuccino/exercise session. I plan on
going everyday if my bad back don't start acting up.

Good on ya for getting out. Why not make it more social and helpful and
sign up for individual classes with a certified Pilates instructor, or for
PT if your insurance covers it? Both make a world of difference,
especially with back pain.

Susan

I've tried both massage and physical therapy for my back, neither helped.
The problem is scoliosis and a herniated disk. The only thing the MD's have
to offer is an operation which they say has a 50/50 chance of helping and a
10% chance of making it worse.

That's what they offered me forty years ago after a severe back
injury. They said without the surgery I'd probably be able to get
around, possibly with a stick, and I'd certainly never be able again
to run, dance, rock climb, lift heavy furniture, etc. etc..

I decided to try disbelieving them. Today I can do all of those
things, and while my back is always going to have some problems and
need care, it's a lot stronger and more capable than most backs in
their mid sixties.

The only exercise I can do is walking and then only when the back is not
acting up too bad. Drugs do help a lot with the pain.

Careful with the drugs. They can mask the pain and allow you to
exacerbate the injuries without realising it. For example I rarely
drink, but whenever I have a pint or two of an evening I have a sore
back the next day, because the alcohol masked the pain of sitting
around in a bad position, stopped me fidgeting and moving around to
relieve the pain, and so caused some slight injury to my back.

I prefer to use the pain as a guide to navigation in the recovery
jungle. Anything that hurts I stop doing. Anything (except taking pain
killers :-) which reduces hurt I do more of. If you keep using that
kind of pain compass it may be able to guide you over time to a place
where there is much less pain.

--
Chris Malcolm

.