Re: OT - Natasha Richardson

Ozgirl wrote:
Alan S wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:30:52 -0700, Michelle C
<bookbug_35@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nicky wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:08:14 +1100, Alan S
<loralgtweightandcarbs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On the other hand, equally weird, were your four-way stop
signs. I just gave up and gave way to everyone until no-one
was left - much to the chagrin of those behind me.
Yeah, that was my approach to them : )

Did you spot the rather rare "Oncoming traffic has right of way"
signs near my local station? They cause endless amusement in the
summer, as the locals and tourists try to manouevre... I'm ashamed
to say that I didn't know what they meant when we moved here, and
it took me a couple of weeks to look them up, giving way to
everything in both directions in the meantime!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

There are no 4 way stops in Britain and Australia?

Best regards,
Michelle C.
None here, and none that I saw in my travels around the UK
or Europe.

Where a cross-road has no lights controlling it then almost
invariably one road will have either "Stop" or "Yield" signs
on it's entrances to the junction and the other will have
none, making that cross road the Priority road. Thus the
cars on that road do not need to stop or yield and may not
even slow down. However, most states include a catch-all law
that a driver must approach all intersections at a speed
which would allow them to stop to avoid an accident.

"Yield" means you must slow down and look for crossing
vehicles (which you must give way to from both directions)
to check that it's safe to continue; "Stop" means what it
says - as well as yielding to traffic on the Priority road
your wheels must stop turning before you proceed.

In the rare instances where no priority road is indicated
and no signs are at the intersection (usually out in the
boondocks) then "give way to the right" and common-sense is
presumed to apply.

Roundabouts are simple. A car entering the roundabout must
give way to all cars on the roundabout; you can enter if the
roundabout is big enough to be sure there is sufficient time
to be safe before that car reaches you but don't get hit or
you will be in the wrong.

We had a 4 way stop near where I used to live. Accodring to the road rules handbook you give way to your right, but there are 4 "rights"... I used to just give way to whoever got there first and most others did too.

The rule in America is that whoever arrives at the 4 way stop first has the right of way, and if two cars arrive simultaneously, then the person on the right has the right of way. It's very rare to have 4 cars arrive at the same time. However, at busy 4 way stops a person really must pay attention to know when to take his turn.

Best regards,
Michelle C.
.